98 QX4 Random Ticking from both sides

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
EliteScouter
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

I did spark plugs and passenger side valve cover gasket. After driving the car today, I notice a random ticking sound from the engine bay. Not loud enough to hear inside the car but noticeable outside. Here is a quick video.

Any ideas? I checked compression 150-155 PSI across all 6 (Cold). It has aprox 170k miles.

anthonyerco
Car: ???

Ever find out what it was? Sounds like a flapping noise. The same one I have on my 02 QX4.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Sounds like it could simply be sticky lifters. My old '91 Pathfinder hydraulic valve lifters would gum up every couple of years and make those seemingly random ticking noises. Back then I relied on an oil detergent called CD2 which fixed the issue every time. CD2 has since gone out of business. I bought every last bottle I could find. My current '02 Pathfinder needed a CD2 shot a few years ago for the same issue, which it fixed once again and has not returned. I keep the oil changed every 3000 miles so that helps. I am on my last bottle whenever I need it next. A good oil detergent could fix the ticking but I'm not sure what the best brand would be at this time since I haven't had to buy any for years now. What I do recall from way back when I looked into this oil detergent stuff is that you do not want a quick fix kind of additive with harsh chemicals like Sea Foam or a thick as honey in the winter oil treatment like STP. I've heard good things about Liqui-Moly brand products. They have an additive specifically for this issue. See Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20004 ... B0096Y6XPC It might be worth giving them a try.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”