98 Pathfinder Sunroof Drain Exit Point

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
TheCROW
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Hello All,

Can anyone help me locate the exit point of the front sunroof drain pipes on the driver side of my 98?

I removed the wheel arch plastic cover to take a look but could not locate the exit point. I poured some water in the drain hole and it started dripping outside from under the door.

I was under the impression (after a search on the forum and a look at the service manual) that the exit point should be some sort of grommet in the wheel well next to the door hinge, but for the life of me I cannot locate it!

Does anyone have any photos to exactly locate it?

Thank you kindly in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-17 203443.jpg

fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I remember doing a drain test myself (all drained out fine under car) and was also surprised that no clear 'grommet' etc. was visible. Satisfied the drains worked I gave it no further thought.

Recently I wanted to clear out all the leaves and debris that get trapped in those 'wells' in front of driver & passenger doors - visible when doors are open. https://imgur.com/a/phtRjSM.
I thought the only way to get the leaves and debris out was to vacuum them until I reached in with my fingers and felt an opening (designed) in the sheet metal to under the car. As soon as I knew that I poured hot water in there to flush everything out squeaky clean.

I mention all this because I would be willing to bet that is where the front drain tubes also discharge. Maybe get a flashlight and a telescoping mirror to check ?

TheCROW

Thank you for your reply.
So you're saying I should get to it from the hinge area of the driver door? The photo you kindly posted is of the driver front door right?
I need to get to the actual exit point of the tubes, I inserted a wire to unclog the drain and it got stuck at the end of the tube lol! So I need to remove it from down there.
Gotta take a closer look in the morning.

fixer3

Sunroof drain connection:
https://imgur.com/a/7g9L8OG

I poured water down front sunroof drain tubes to test and there is no water entering those door wells.
It seems the reason those door wells collect so many leaves is that it is part of the drainage system for the ‘sides’ of the plastic grate below the windshield.
But you can hear the water from sunroof drains running through directly behind this area meaning the tube runs behind it possibly stopping short and then weeping out the last few inches of undercarriage(?)

If you say you poured water into the tubes and water drained out under the car, then perhaps the tubing is not impacted, and your wire / fishing rod is simply exiting the tube inside vehicle sheet metal and then is hitting something? I.e. the tube is clear and draining but it drains into a cavity that is designed to accept and conduct water to fall out, similar to door wells.

When I first addressed testing my sunroof drain holes, I noticed quite a bit of silt buildup around the front entry points. Instead of washing it away, I taped a small hose to a strong handheld vacuum and drew the debris out.
My thinking was to not wash anything down that could impact in there. I was also wary of running anything, but a rounded tip plastic snake down those tubes so as not to gouge tubing, increase any cracks that my be present, or possibly decouple tube. Likewise I ruled out compressed air.
So, after vacuuming, I simply poured down hot water.
If you feel something has impacted down there, rather than tamping it down with the wire, attempting to push through or push it out, you might consider trying to vacuum it out from the top first. This may dislodge some of the media allowing water to do the rest. Perhaps just soaking it with water will also allow any created slurry to be vacuumed up too.

TheCROW

For the time being, water is passing through the tube fine and is draining outside the vehicle on the floor, so I think I haven't messed anything up.
I'm thinking of spraying WD40 down the drain hole, allow it to drip down on the stuck wire till the tip and soaking it for a bit, maybe it will lube it and allow me to dislodge it and slide it back up.
Will WD40 hurt anything in there? plastic, rubber or anything else?
Thanks again for your time.

fixer3

Oh! I didn't read that your wire got stuck, sorry. I see now. Can you create two 45º-ish bends in the exposed length of wire to use them like a crank to rotate wire while you 'gently' pull it back. Guessing you bent the tip over to make a bulb and it's catching on the edge of the tube. Rotating while pulling should help (?)
btw - how thick / what gauge is the wire you used ?

Definitely skip using anything like WD-40 for now. If you do, or did, then flush it very well afterwards.
If you think lubrication is needed (I don't) then perhaps dishwashing soap is less reactive ?

TheCROW

The wire is the same thickness as the weed whacker cable, but it has a metal tip, that's what got caught inside... when I move it I can hear it making noise down next to the wheel well. I put the tip in a hand drill and rotated it slowly while trying to pull it with no success... I think it's stuck right next to the exit point. tat's why I think I need to free it from down there.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”