98 Frontier KA24DET Feasability

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Ghosted
Car: 1998 Frontier XE 4-cyl 5sp

I've been lurking and reading through several of the posts on here and ka-t.org, for the past few days, looking for information on turbocharging a KA24DET (WD's Sticky has been most helpful). However, the vast majority of the information I have been finding relates to the 240sx. Searching Frontiers in this KA24DET forum has come up with many 1 or 2 reply posts, but little else. Is it really that big of a challenge to turbocharge the truck KA24DE or is the demand just not there for these builds?

Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully this won't turn into another 1 to 2 reply post.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Welcome aboard. Glad to see you finally posting. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had a busy weekend. The Frontier shouldn't be more of a challenge than the 240 I would say. You won't have any kits though so you'll have to build a lot of stuff yourself.

Do you have any welding skills?

Ghosted
Car: 1998 Frontier XE 4-cyl 5sp

Not a problem, I've been pretty busy myself. I do have some welding skills, but no equipment, haven't had much need for it outside of work. Most of my experience is just making sure two pieces of metal stick together :chuckle: I've been trying to source a 96-98 240sx intake mani, TB, and ecm to make things a bit easier. Looks like there's a fair amount of room on the exhaust side, barring some AC lines that can be rerouted. I'm not looking for anything crazy, power wise, just something to beef it up a bit. I'm coming from a 2007 frontier with the VQ40 so I'm used to a little more pep! Thanks again for the help

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I picked up a cheap 110 mig, Dayton iirc. It does both fluxcore or shielding gas. I had such a good time sticking s*** together that my garage looked like some sort of crazy modern art exhibit. My welds still aren't all pretty but they stick. I have a good grinder for clean-up :chuckle:

Throw up some images of your engine bay, make sure to take some of both sides. Might not need to swap intakes.

superDorifto
Car: 1997 Eclipse Spyder - AWD/5spd swap in progress
1995 Q45 - 5spd swap in progress
1984 200sx hatch(KA-t swap) - 355WHP
1991/1993/1995/1997 240s - Dead
1982 200sx hatch - fixed/scrapped

The truck ka is it's own special unique unicorn flower...the block has tons in common with the sohc motors, but not everything swaps over....not sure when the dohc heads started showing up, but I hear they are very similar to s14 castings

I believe you can use an dohc turbo manifold without many mods.

For a simple build a log manifold would be a good place to start.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”