98 Frontier Engine Question

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
TwoGrim
Car: 2001 Sentra SE 2007 Versa 2002 Xterra 1999 Sentra SEL

Ok here is the deal, I am going to replace my engine (KA24DE) in my 98 Frontier. Might anyone know which engines will swap in, can I use the KA24DE from the 240SX? Which years will work, I know that I will most likely have to switch the intakes and externals, however I really want to know if the heads and blocks are identical.

NISTECH

what the reason for the swap is there something wrong with the orignal engine? I believe the same yr 240 engine is the same. not 100% you might wanna hit up some of the 240 experts in the other form. I have never compared the specs between the 2 but i dont see why nissan would make 2 different long blocks with the same designation. obviously the intak exhaust is different as you say.

TwoGrim

The engine lost oil pressure and my wife drove it home that way (about 10miles). It still starts but sounds like a diesel after it get warm. It never ran low on oil, I think the pump went. I don' think it has any oil pressure and since it has over 160k on it I was gonna replace it. (it is running rough since this happens, I am sure the bearings and such were toasted). I thought about rebuilding it, but hate to do that since I havent found a machine shop in my area that I trust to do the work correctly.

NISTECH

pulled out the fsm's for both vehicles today and did some research. the engines are not interchangable betwenn the 2 vehicles. they are also different part #'s for both the head and the block. the biggest difference i could see was the oil gallie to the front cover one block has 2 and the oil pickup off the front cover and the other has a pickup off the block. another difference was how the distributor is oriented. one is driven off the cam shaft and the other is driven off the crank.

TwoGrim

Thank you very much for your post, that will save me from finding out the "hard way".

king_johnthegreat
Car: Anything rolling fast

Although the heads and blocks are different part numbers, the heads are identical castings. The valve covers, cam journals, flange faces, ports, valvetrains, they are all the same. The blocks have identical mounting points, and the block side mounts are the same, but the block technically is different. The primary difference is the bell housing mounting face: the truck's block is very narrow, and a thin sheetmetal plate is all that covers the portion of the tranny bellhousing that hangs off on eack side. The 240SX block not only has actual bolt holes all the way across the upper portion of the tranny, but it has stamped heavy gauge stabilizer brackets that extend below the block, to the bottom of the tranny. The other beauty to the 240 block is the solid one piece cranck girdle. It does not exist in the truck, they are all seperate two bolt caps. Yes, the oil pump pickups are different. The truck's hangs off of the passenger side of the block, about mid way along the block. The 240's oilpump and pickup is right up at the nose of the crank, and oilpan. The oilpan sump on the 240 is right up front, whereas the truck's is all the way tothe back. I have thus far swapped the 240 intake manifold onto my truck motor, so that I could boost higher pressures; but I am swapping the entire motor I have in, as soon as the build up is finished. Hope this helps.John

k4rr
Car: 89 dodge ram truck

So, is can you use the frontier motor in the 240 by changing a few things?

Has anyone put a 240 ka in a frontier yet?

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

they're tuned differently and have different fuel systems - MPI in the 240 motor, and TBI in the trucks. I'm thinking you'd have to do a computer / harness swap as well.

Any KA24DE from a '98-2004 truck will be a direct swap. Mine got dusted due to a faulty cone filter and I replaced it with a motor from a 2000 2wd truck with an auto. I had to swap over the flywheel and the oil pan, but everything else bolted right up and plugged right in perfectly - had the entire swap done in 7 hours.

The truck motors are tuned for more bottom end torque and less high end horspower, hence the considerable differences in power ratings. Personally, I'd keep a truck motor in a truck. Add a Pacesetter header, an aftermarket intake, and a 2.25" exhaust to help the whole thing breathe a little better.

k4rr
Car: 89 dodge ram truck

Will the KA truck motor bolt up to the s13/s14 240sx tranny?

I am looking for a low mileage motor. And the only low mileage motors are frontier and exterras on car-part.com

I dont care about changing intakes and some other things.

If i can find out if the tranny from my s14 240sx will bolt upto the frontier/exterra I will buy one!

Any info you can give?
king_johnthegreat wrote:Although the heads and blocks are different part numbers, the heads are identical castings. The valve covers, cam journals, flange faces, ports, valvetrains, they are all the same. The blocks have identical mounting points, and the block side mounts are the same, but the block technically is different. The primary difference is the bell housing mounting face: the truck's block is very narrow, and a thin sheetmetal plate is all that covers the portion of the tranny bellhousing that hangs off on eack side. The 240SX block not only has actual bolt holes all the way across the upper portion of the tranny, but it has stamped heavy gauge stabilizer brackets that extend below the block, to the bottom of the tranny. The other beauty to the 240 block is the solid one piece cranck girdle. It does not exist in the truck, they are all seperate two bolt caps. Yes, the oil pump pickups are different. The truck's hangs off of the passenger side of the block, about mid way along the block. The 240's oilpump and pickup is right up at the nose of the crank, and oilpan. The oilpan sump on the 240 is right up front, whereas the truck's is all the way tothe back. I have thus far swapped the 240 intake manifold onto my truck motor, so that I could boost higher pressures; but I am swapping the entire motor I have in, as soon as the build up is finished. Hope this helps.John

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”