!979 Datsun 280ZX Manual Clutch Interlock Safety Switch

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
mertekman
Car: 1979 Datsun 280zx

I am new to this forum but have 3 Z cars over the years (1970 ) (1977) and currently a 1979 280ZX. I recently had my 1979 280ZX with a Manual transmission in for some repairs and it was damaged by the mechanic at the repair shop. The Mechanic reached in through the window and inadvertently turned the ignition key to the start position while the car was in first gear. ( He meant to only advance it to the " ON" position ) Nevertheless the car lunged forward and did around 2500.00 worth of body damage to the car ! Fortunately no one was hurt. This is a good local shop with great mechanics but I dont think they are familiar with the old Z cars. They think the car had come originally equipped with a Clutch safety switch which prevents the car from starting if it is in gear and someone removed it or hardwired past it. I don't believe this is true ! I don't remember this on my old Z Cars. I ALWAYS put the car neutral to start and still do so today. Kind of like a golden rule although Im sure modern cars all have this switch. My question is does any one " KNOW FOR SURE" if this switch was present in the 1979 280ZX.
Did it have this switch or even a switch where the car had to be in neutral to start? I dont believe it had either but possibly had the neutral switch? If it did not have the switch does anyone know when they start installing these switches in the Datsun Z cars?

I have been trying to get an answer by searching on the internet and all the old forums says " I don't think" it had the switch. I really need a clear answer.
The shop said they would pay for the damage either way- but they kind of put me on a guilt trip saying it "really" wasnt their fault.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance-Bill

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Looks like it did, I had to dig through the FSM, which you can find here
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1979/
I am pretty sure the clutch safety was added on the later S30 chassis cars and that all S130's would have had it.Looks like it should be a normally closed switch. Could be that when the clutch pedal isn't depressed a rubber stopper pushing the switch and opens the circuit. On Z31's the brake lights work this way and the rubber stopper rots away and the pin for the switch just pokes through the hole and leaves the circuit closed. The switch would be on the clutch pedal bracket. it is of course possible that the car came with an auto and someone simply jumpered the neutral safety switch relay, which should be int he relay box on the inner finder near the right front headlight IIRC.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”