97 QX4 Questions-Tune up and window switches

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
brent6017
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4

Hi all- Question on doing a tune up. Whats the best way to change the plugs on this 3.3? Does the intake have to come off? I have never seen plug wires routed like this. Also, does it just take standard plugs, like NGK?

Also, my power window switch in the pass. door and on the back doesn't work, but the drivers master switches control all windows fine. This happens regardless if the window lock switch is engaged or not. Just curious for ideas.

Also, where is the front O2 sensor located, left bank? Thanks

Also, anyone know a good site where I can get a used rear air deflector off a Pathy or QX4? Thanks

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Heres an excerpt from the FSM how to replace the plugs, hope this helps

I would say your window switch is bad, or possibly the door control unit.... Should be easy to diagnose either way, id probably start by swapping the switch out from another door and see if that does the trick...

The front drivers side o2 sensor is locaed on the drivers side exhaust manifold, sort of on the right side (on the outboard side of the vehicle)... it appears to be easiest to access it from below....

brent6017

Wow, thanks for the help. I assume a standard plug socket and an extension can be used instead of the Nissan tools in the manual.

By the way, when taking off the door panels, is there any special trick or tool? Where do you start? I hate taking these things off, I always seem to break a snap or clip or something, and it never fits right again.

Is the door control unit located under the dash?

Thanks

kg03
Car: 1999 Q45 & 1997 Qx4

Brent my name is Keith and I have a '97 qx4 which i have changed all door speakers and have been pretty invasive in the cabin with removing panels. If you still would like to take the panels off let me know. It was a couple of weeks ago when u inquired and I didn't know if u were still interested.

brent6017

Sure, I haven't really tried to get them off yet, I just know on some GM vehicles once you pull it off it never is the same again. I don't want to break the plastic clips or whatever holds the panel on. Do you know any tricks? Thanks

kg03

Front:The leather part of the armrest just pulls up on both sides and are held in with metal clips. Once that section is removed then the plastic piece that the switches are mounted in can be lifted out ( note u have to disconnect the switch harnesses). After that is removed then there are three 10mm bolts that secure the panel to the door. Also, there is a trim ring around the door handle that has to be removed however the best way to do this is by pulling the panel off the door and the trim ring will pop off. After bolts are removed as mentioned earlier the only thing holding the panel on is the plastic round push clips (about ten) that remove pretty easily.

The rear remove about the same way. The only difference is that there is one bolt hidden behind a round plastic pieve that can be popped out with a pick.

I hope this helps........

brent6017

Cool, thanks for the help. I will give it a shot.

Did you change out the factory bose speakers? What did you put in instead? I have been thinking of swapping something else in too.

kg03

Well I replaced everything. Tweeters Mids, Sub. and Headunit. As far as brands go i originally used all top of the line speakers and then soon realized that burning a voice coil was detrimental to my wallet. So now I am running a top of the line tweeter and paper cone mids "pyramid W64" they are a paper cone set of six inch drivers (paper gives the most responsive sounds and tones) but they run about ten dollars a speaker but fabrication work has to be done to get it in the door. Amps are memphis and the sub is a 10 inch kicker l7.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

FYI: the tools for changing the spark plugs are under your rear seat.

brent6017

I have no idea what you are talking about. There are no tools under the rear seat................

There are tools under my rear seat on my bike though...........not the Infiniti.....

fueler

Well then a previous owner must have lost your tools... ALL 97-00 QX4's (with the VG33 engine) came with spark plugs tools under the a**-cushion of the rear seat, along with the tools for dropping your spare and the tire-change jack. They are mostly in one bag, except for the spare-tire drop tool which is three feet long and sitting in some clips. Pull up on your rear seat a**-cushion (the end where the seatbelts are) and it will fold up (it's on hinges), I would make sure that at least the spare tire tools are under there,

How can you not know what I am talking about, have you even checked? Look for the leather bag under your rear seat...

brent6017

Sure, I fold the seats up all the time. They are up right now, actually. There are not any tools at all under there. How do you get the spare down, I always wondered that. I would hate to find out when I really need it that the tools are gone.

Anyone know where I can get some new ones?

fueler

For dropping the spare tire, there should be a long, skinny tool under the rear seat. It's around 2 or 3 feet long. One end of the tool is like a "T". It is just chillin in a pair of white clips. You pop the rear hatch, and down by the bumper, on the body of the car, there will be an oval hole that is covered up when the hatch is closed. It is a shaft that runs down to the spare tire area. You stick the "T" end of the tool down there and slide down... and once it locks in, you start twisting. You can use the tire wrench on the other end for leverage, they fit together like legos.

Good luck!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”