'97 Quest camper minivan

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
potato
Car: 1997 Nissan Quest

Hello! I'm new here -- just bought a '97 Quest last week. I was living in a car before, now I've got this minivan to make life a bit more comfortable, and eventually I'd like to upgrade to a short school bus. For now, I want to make sure things are running reliably, and I'm willing to invest a bit of money to help it last a long time :) it's got about 180,000 miles on it, it has some damage on the passenger side doors from a collision which didn't seem to warp the frame/chassis or anything. All the electronics and everything on the inside works great, for the most part it's in decent shape -- for $800 I'm not complaining.

The minivan does have a few issues that I wanted to ask y'all about.

1) Something makes a raspy, grating noise when I accelerate. It's only when I push the gas pedal down a certain amount. It doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in. Mostly, it happens when I'm climbing a hill. I made a video while driving uphill -- I know there's a lot of road noise too, but you can hear the difference when I let off the accelerator a couple times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWERq3a9FCE
It sounds pretty scary, I really have no idea what it is.

2) The whole car wobbles at speeds above 55 MPH. It could just be unbalanced tires, I might have them balanced, but before I spend $16/tire I thought I'd check if this is a common problem -- I read somewhere that there can actually be an issue with the rear brakes that causes a vibration that feels like it's coming from the front? Or, maybe it's related to problem 3 or 4...

3) It seems like something is loose in my suspension/steering. When I go over speed bumps or similar, there's a clunking sound especially from the left front. The direction of travel is not very consistent -- for example, if I have it in cruise control and I'm climbing a hill, when it downshifts into a lower gear to get more power it pulls to the right and I have to correct the wheel to the left; when it shifts up again, I have to correct to the right. When I'm taking a curve on the highway (I think it's only when turning right), there's sometimes a point where something shifts and suddenly I am turning more sharply to the right even though I didn't move the wheel. I had the car looked over by a mechanic when I first got it and he noticed that my left front ball joint was broken, I replaced it and got an alignment but this is still happening.

4) My parking brake light is on permanently. Is it likely a broken sensor, or is it possible the brake is still applied a little bit? The action of applying and releasing the brake seems to be normal, and I don't notice excessive drag, but maybe it's dragging a little bit and contributing to the wobble or steering issues?

And finally, this isn't a specific question, but is there anything you recommend I do as preventative maintenance? The mechanic said there was a drip from the main seal, between the transmission/engine; is that a big deal?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me :)

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

Wobbling may simply mean a defective tire. Been there done that. Inspect tires for any signs of warped walls, it happens. And inspect rotors while you are at it.

potato
Car: 1997 Nissan Quest

Thanks! My tires seem in pretty good condition overall, but I'll check the walls more closely.

Something to add -- my front wheels get hot when I drive, significantly hotter than the rear wheels. The parking brake should only act on the rear wheels, right? So it's probably not from problem #4 (actually, it looks like low brake fluid can cause this light to stay on, and I know it is low -- the pads are getting thin -- so maybe that's it).
Maybe I have a problem with the brake lines or master cylinder or something, not releasing the disk brakes all the way.

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

Dragging brake calipers would cause overheating. Check to see if pins are seized. I can't recall if 97 Nissans used twist in pistons, those get seized sometimes too.

Return to “Quest Forum”