97 Q45 Key doesn't work in Door Locks

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
MikalKintner
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

97 Q45... strange problem. Was hoping it was common thus giving a common solution. Not seeming to be the case, here it goes...

Seems like it's been happening since last winter. I'm here in Vegas, so we don't get much wet weather, however, when it does manage to drizzle, my key will not work opening the locks to my doors manually. I bought my car with one key (Still in good shape) with no remote. As soon as it warms up and dries up a bit, the locks seem to come back and work great. The locks don't need to be wet though, as it sometimes happens in cold humidity. Usually my driver side door is the first to react and will not budge, leaving me trying to get in through the passenger side. On occasion, and this morning in particular, neither side will budge, leaving me locked out of my car. You can see how this could be a bit inconvenient?

Anyone ever experience the same thing and/or have any ideas at attempts to try and solve this riddle? At times, I'm afraid to lock my doors for fear of being stranded somewhere, but stereos, CDs and other personal belongings have a way of disappearing.

Any assistance is appreciated.

MikalKintner

Hmmm... Researched it more and came across frozen locks. Being here in Vegas, never heard of such a thing, especially when often the temperature isn't even freezing (mid 30s to early 40s). Anyways, put a little rubbing alcohol on the key and in the keyhole, cleared them right up. Added alcohol to my trunk chem (with my luck, my trunk lock will freeze next time too). Anyways, thought I'd post an update.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hi there,

That sounds a little odd at first but when you think about what is at play there I would be willing to bet when you clean out the key hole you will have some luck.

As an example (one of the only exploded views I could find) take a look at what is right inside the door.

Dusty door lucks seem like a regional issue. I'm on the east coast and have seen the effects of snow and salt but what you have is a first. Neat. :dblthumb: Good Luck.

I personally think a spray electric contact cleaner will blow the dust out of there.

You can get a decent remote from Ebay

MikalKintner

Agree about the dust, which is what boggles my mind that it only happens on rainy days and worse on cold rainy days. I'm waiting until we dry up a bit here and then I will use some cleaner and lube.

I've seen the remotes, but wasn't sure if I could program myself or if I had to take them in to get done.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I bet you the wet dust makes mud (the base of most forms of concrete). Hopefully it is in the lock cylinder instead of a stuck door lock actuator which can be a real problem to fix if the door does not open.

The remotes are not that hard to program. Personally I suck at timing them so I use the Nissan computer to do it. There are tons of noobs here who can pull this off it is really not that bad. Having a remote makes a world of difference.

MikalKintner

Actuator is fine. Locks work great with power on the inside. Still freezing as we continue to have weather below 45 into low 30s. Alcohol has worked great in the mean time until I order that remote. Thanks for all the input.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”