97 Pickup 2.4L Engine Replacement

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
jtcskr227
Car: 1997 Nissan Hardbody 2.4L 4X4

I cannot seem to find the answer to this question anywhere. I have searched all over web andit seems that there are some knowledgable people on this forum.

What engines will fit in a 97 2.4L 4X4 5spd?

My engine was ruined after thetiming chain guides broke off into the engine and was driven by the previous owner for who knows how long. I was told that any KA24E enfine would fit right in and I was about to replace it with a 94 eninge out of a RWD. I was aware we would have to change the oil pan/pump but now it seems that the whole head is different? Or distributor? I am having a friend work on it and he started to take things apart and realized that he can't swap it. He says he would have to change the heads and electrical/computer? Is this correct? It's going to be difficult to locate an engine out of a 97 only. I had hard enough time finding this one and I was searching for 90-97.

If someone has experience with this year please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,Joe

ibreakstuff

If you want to use another year KA, you'll have to get a complete swap and rewire everything.

You can also go with a CA18DET, a SR20DET,the VG30DETT or a chevy 350 if you want to do a custom install.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

not true. I believe you can use just about any 93 or so to 97 engine. I swapped engines in my '98 as well and used one from a 2wd in the swap. I had to swap the oil pan and pickup, and the flywheel (donor was an auto and I had a manual). Beyind that, everything was a direct plug and play.

I don't believe the KA's changed in the HB years. If you do encounter anything different, replace the donor engine electricals with those from yours, but everything should be a perfect or near perfect match.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”