97 Pathfinder with P1760 code

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Merrix
Car: 97 Nissan Pathfinder

Little back story. I got 97 pathy with auto trans and 4x4 with 205K miles. A couple summers back, the trans would once in a while not shift into 4th/OD especially on hot days. Never became worse but became better during the colder months. Never threw a code. Shifting from 1st to 2nd has always been hard but only on slow acceleration. During highway speeds, the trans would shift in and out of OD rather quick but only for a a minute or so. Still no codes. I did a drain, filter replacement and fill on the trans. Helped a little with smoother shifting. Now (several months later) I am getting a P1760 code almost on the daily. Also while towing a light trailer a couple weeks ago or on really hot days, when I am nearing a stop, the trans seems like it was shifting erratically between 1st and 2nd.

I don't know much about transmissions so I am asking for help. Is the "overrun clutch solenoid valve" (P1760) an easy part to replace and are my symptoms a cause of this solenoid?

Thank you

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Maybe it would be better to do a transmission flush instead of just a drain and fill.

However, the overrun clutch solenoid is covered on pages 99-101 in the FSM,

there is also a self-diagnostic test you can run that might help, the procedure for that starts on page 23

https://nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/199 ... der/at.pdf

Merrix
Car: 97 Nissan Pathfinder

I was told by a transmission tech to not to do a flush since it could cause more issue with seals. Kind of made sense how he describes but who knows.

I did most of the diagnosis from the manual (thank for for providing that. I know have a FSM!) and haven't really narrowed anything down other than the wiring to and from the A/T control unit is all good. Issue will either be the overrun clutch solenoid or A/T control unit. A friend does have the Infiniti model of the pathfinder that's under the knife and I was thinking of maybe swapping A/T control units but I think the Infiniti is an AWD as opposed to 4WD. Not sure if that's going to be a different A/T control unit?

After my oil change and PS belt replacement last weekend, the transmission has been cooperating. No erratic shifting and no check engine light. Not sure what that's all about but I'll accept it for now.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Many, including myself, do not recommend tranny flushes. However I do like the idea of multiple ATF changes (but not flushes) if it's been neglected and or somewhat problematic. It's quick, inexpensive and sometimes really makes a change.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”