97 NISSAN HARDBODY SR20DET SWAP

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
bubba690
Car: 1997 NISSAN HARDBODY
2010 HYUNDAI GENESIS 3.8GT
2009 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500 4X4
2017 YAMAHA R6
2015 HONDA GROM

Hey guys this is my first time on a forums page so I am not to shure how this works so bare with me.

I currently have a 1997 Nissan hardbody with a stock ka24e, one of my friends had a decently built up black top SR20DET swap he was getting rid of for cheap said it made around 480whp when it was in his friends 240. Soo!! I said why not and bought it off of him, once i got the motor and trans home i gave it a good cleaning and it was in good condition (looking wise). I was debating on just using the motor as is and thought about it for awhile and it bugged me not knowing what was done to the motor 1st hand. The next day the motor was up on the stand and I was tearing it down, found aftermarket rods, pistons, valves, retainers, springs and cams I have not had time to look into part numbers yet but will try to soon. At this time i figured what the hell might as well give porting a try i figured just gasket matching and knife edging and cleaning castings would make alittle more power better flow gonna keep intake at 60 grit and exhaust at 180 grit cartridge rolls (I have done harley heads and a couple sportbike heads but never car heads). Now the fun part put the truck on jack stands and went to work, pulling the motor out of the truck went very easy and I did not run into any problems coming out took about 3 hours with the help of one of my friends.

OK!!! :ohno: Now come the questions that I hope someone can answer for me:

- MOTOR MOUNTS? Are there any motor mounts that would bolt up and keep the motor at a safe angle i have seen on another forum a guy put a sr in and the motor sat at a steep angle, and have read to cut motor mounts and re weld them forward. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

- TRANS MOUNT? I have read i can use my stock cross member just need to slot the mounting holes, or do i need to make a new member?

- WIRING? I have a Apexi stand alone and a full SR harness what wires do i need to hook up from the truck harness to the sr harness? DOES ANYONE HAVE A SCHEMATIC OR DIAGRAM, GUIDE LOL ANYTHING?

- DASH? Will my dash work with the swap? I was thinking if not is there a way to hook up a diag obdII scan tool so i could run an i pad as a dash thru an app?

- GEARING? Is the hardbody rear end able to handle the power this motor is going to put out and will the gear ratios be ok? IS THERE A BETTER REAR END I COULD GET?

- 5LUG CONVERSION? Heard toyota rear end and toyota hubs or re drilling the axles and drums which way is better? OR ARE THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS?

Thats all i can think of for now ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKYOU FOR READING!!!

bubba690
Car: 1997 NISSAN HARDBODY
2010 HYUNDAI GENESIS 3.8GT
2009 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500 4X4
2017 YAMAHA R6
2015 HONDA GROM

ALOOOHA!! Hey guys I see that we have had some readers/visitors but no replies yet.

SR20DET UPDATE: OK well i have been busy all weekend working on porting the sr20 head and I must say it came out awesome (in my opinion) I cc the ports with antifreeze and got them all within 5cc. When i finished porting the head it was time to clean it up and wash it, I busted out the super clean a couple different brushes and went to work got it all cleaned and looking like new. I dried it all up and drenched it in WD40 put the head up on the stands and started to lap the valves in I had noticed some were looser then others 1 in particular but i did not think anything of it. Finished lapping the valves in and now was ready to assemble the head, All excited i flipped the head over and started prepping the guides for the new seals. Upon further inspection of the guides i found that i had missed or i am just completely blind and did not notice the broken guide (FRICKEN IDIOT) :wtf2: at this point all the air was let out of my sails and i dropped everything and went in the house for a bit. After i stopped kicking myself in the butt i decided i had to go outside and inspect every single piece of this motor very carefully so i DO NOT need any more unwanted surprises uppon further inspection of the head i found 8 guides out of 16 has small cracks in them 1 has multiple, all of the cracks are on the top where the seals go so i know "it wasn't me" (shaggy voice). Well this stupidity/not being thorough on disassembly just pushed this project deadline even further back. I am pissed at myself for overlooking something so small but am very happy i found it now and not when its all in the truck.

I would like to post some pics from my phone but am not sure how to do that if anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

THANKS FOR READING PLEASE DONT BE SHY TO ASK QUESTIONS OF LEAVE FEEDBACK

PS: PLEASE KEEP NEGATIVE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINIONS ALTHOUGH U MAY NOT LIKE SOMETHING THERE IS A COLOR FOR EVERYONE ALOHA!!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”