'97 Nissan Altima GXE 4 Cylinder Problem

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
mex83
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima GXE

So, here is my problem. About two weeks ago I was driving fine never had any problems with my Altima. All of the suddent when I hit the gas it stopped on me and turned off completely. Had to tow the car home.
The Following morning I had a mechanic come to my house and check the car out since I couldn't drive it to a shop. Check engine light was not on at all. They determined I had to replace the distributor cap and the Rotor. Changed. Car drove perfect for two days. Monday afternoon comes and I drive up to the gas station, I drive out and BAM again the car turns off this time I was able to retart the car and after 2 more times it wanted to turn off I was able to get home. The car worked fine for the next 2 days. Thursday morning I start the car for work and BAM again ough idle and then turns off, try again and car doesnt go past the ignition process.
Now I call an electrician after two days of diagnose, he determines its the Crank Shaft ( Cam shaft), he replaces the sensor and the car starts perfectly. we repeast the turn off/ turn on process multiple times (5 times) and car is perfect. Yesterday (Sunday) I start the car to go to the store turns on flawless after 2 minutes of driving BAM car turns off and wont fire up or go past ignition.

What has been checked:
Fuses
Injectors
Spark Plugs
Oil
Gas pressure
battery
rotor (replaced)
distributor cap (replaced)
Cam/crank shaft (replaced)

Anyone else know what could be the possible problem? I need to get the car running ASAP since its my work car. Any input would help.

mex83
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima GXE

Anyone? Help???

davidscheiber28
Car: Dad's: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE
Mine: to be determined

oil somehow getting into the sensor is my best guess

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”