97 Maxima Power Steering Belt Tensioner Fell Apart

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
hamiltonsmadre
Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Hello all! I was replacing the belt for my power steering and I made the worst mistake ever: I loosened the top tensioner bolt too much and it fell out when I moved the pump. As you all know, its nearly impossible to see what you are doing and even less room to fit your hand. My question is, is there a nut that is welded to the back of the tensioner bracket that I am screwing the bolt back into, or was there a plate or nut that is movable behind there? I can't find any parts diagrams on the back of the tensioner so I'm assuming it's a welded nut. I hate this job! Please help.

EdBwoy

Hello. I hope you've managed to make some headway in this. I just saw your post and looking at the parts diagram, I am also stumped as to how the horizontal bolt was actually holding anything in place. Is this the tensioner that actually moves the pump up and down?
It has been a while since I did any significant work to a maxima. I'll try checking youtube when I get a chance.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... nting.html

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”