'97 Max SE, Whirring while rolling, cronks when I leave driveway

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
KaZ (VaBch)

My '97 Maxima SE has been making a whirring noise for a while... I'm thinking its possibly the 5spd Transmission or the wheel bearings, if it has them in whatever form (haven't looked), but it also makes a cronk noise from the front left suspension when we leave the driveway with the wheel turned, like say I'm backing out and start turning the wheel left to go down the street to my right and when I get to the bottom of the driveway where the tire hits the street and the suspension loads its "CROONNKSS" rather loudly. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Sounds like you may have a bad left strut...

As far as the whirring noise, have you opened the hood and tried to determine the location?

KaZ (VaBch)

Only whirs while rolling... would be a little hard to open the hood and pinpoint while making it whir... unless I put it up on jackstands, but its seems to come and go and I can't even pinpoint what side of the car its coming from... The sound when I come off the driveway is a loud like metal hinge type nose... not a squeeky shock... but I guess it could still be the shock. It only seems to do it when the wheel is turned to the left or right.. not when its dead on.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I had a similar problem with noises when pulling into driveways or going over bumps while turning. Nissan replaced a strut under warranty and that solved the problem. I get the "spring-rub" sound still, but with Eibachs it's to be expected since mine are not fully wrapped.

The whirring could be a wheel bearing. I know a few have had theirs replaced already.

cullenj76
Car: 99 Q45t 04 SRT-4

if it makes the sound while you are turning the wheel sitting still, then it is your upper front strut bearings.

KaZ (VaBch)

Nope, just when the wheel is turned or turning, while rolling, and normally it makes the noise when the car bottoms at the end of the driveway, putting extra load on the suspension for a second... doesn't do it when sitting still, or when going over a bump straight, just when the wheels are turned...

kblast523
Car: Bikes with motors, golf, woodworking, car restoration

That sounds a lot like a CV joint. Look at the axles and look for thick lubricant that is leaking. Any contamination in the boot will lead to this type of noise...when rolling and turning you are probably "pounding sand" into the constant velocity joint splines.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”