97 J30t - Alternator Help

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
efroubi
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30t

Hello All,

I searched this forum before posting but couldn't find my answer.

I read to remove the panel behind the tire to get better access to the alternator. I don't think mine comes out? Looks like part of the car to me.. If it came out it'd make my life so much easier.

Also, any tips on changing the alternator out? There's like no room and it's surrounded by hoses.

Thanks

itinifnij30
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

It is definitely possible. It is a bit of a pain but you can do it. I find it easiest to put it on some ramps, jacks or a lift if you have one. That way you can access from the top and below. Also I'd unbolt the shroud and the fan but that's just me.
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-replace-a ... i-j30.html
See if that helps. There's other stuff on google if you search j30 alternator replacement. Hope this helps

efroubi

itinifnij30 wrote:It is definitely possible. It is a bit of a pain but you can do it. I find it easiest to put it on some ramps, jacks or a lift if you have one. That way you can access from the top and below. Also I'd unbolt the shroud and the fan but that's just me.
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-replace-a ... i-j30.html
See if that helps. There's other stuff on google if you search j30 alternator replacement. Hope this helps
Thanks! Good idea. I'll remove the intake manifold, clutch fan and shroud.

efroubi

I'm about 45% done. Manifold, clutch fan and shrouds off, the alternator bolts are off, the big clip. But I'm having trouble getting the positive and ground wires off. There just isn't enough room between the passenger wheelwell and the engine block to get to them. I need to attack if from the underside. The cars on my inclined driveway. Is it ok to turn the engine on for 30 seconds and back the car onto level ground so I can jack it up? Without putting everything back on..

efroubi

Ignore my stupid question above. Clearly it'll be ok to run without a clutch fan for 30 seconds. I'll loosely connect manifold. :)

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

Did it finally come out?
Were you able to reverse the procedure to get the new one in?

efroubi

fourdrinie wrote:Did it finally come out?
Were you able to reverse the procedure to get the new one in?
Yep! My biggest struggle was getting the ground nut off. Mine had a taped metal strap attached to it that prevented me from getting a socket on it. I had to bend it off.

You could probably do it all from below the car but I removed the top big bolt from above.

You'll need to play with the alternator to get it out and in. There isn't much room and there's 2 metal hoses right under it (attached to the tensioner bracket) and a big power steering hose right of it.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”