97 J30 Severed/Cracked Egr pipe fix

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
rgstealey
Car: 97 Infiniti J30

Don't know how/when it happened, but I noticed a severed EGR pipe on my car that was making a lot of noise. The gap in the EGR pipe was in a very difficult spot and rather than going through the pains of behind-the-engine surgery to remove the pipes, I found the answer in a can of Monster. (Quick note: QuikSteel does not work on EGR pipes. I guess iron is the only thing it likes to stick to). So, I cut the Monster can into strips and used one of them to wrap tightly around the pipe a couple times over. Then I used a hose clamp and made it super tight. Considering heat and metal expansion, may need a second tightening after a while. But it works. Very faint exhaust leak noise anymore, only when the engine is cold of course. Passes emissions, been holding for a couple thousand miles now. Nice backyard fix for anyone with $2 and no welding equipment. The aluminum of a can is thick enough and flexible enough to make a working EGR pipe repair. Can't say the same about an actual exhaust pipe though. Hope this helps anyone looking to make an inexpensive fix in this area

EriCCirE
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Awesome! While the numbers are few, it is great to hear stories about our J30's still getting love and attention that every car needs. Good job on the cheap backyard tech fix! Nothing beats the pride of accomplishment, so here's to you buddy :dblthumb:

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”