'97 I30 bucking/hestitating and stalling

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
amadesian

Hello all,

Long story: My I30 started bucking/hesitating while driving down the road. Not long after, the service engine soon light came on. I took it in and was told the mass airflow sensor (MAF) was bad. I purchased a OEM remanned MAF from Advanced Auto. I disconected the negative battery cable and replaced the MAF. The light did not go out. I took the car back to Advanced Auto to get the codes checked again and was told that the code for the MAF and knock sensor was coming up. He reset the light. Thinking the replacement MAF was bad, I had them order another. This time, I disconnected both battery cables and replaced the MAF. I am still having the bucking problem, and now the car is stalling more often. I still have not replaced the knock sensor, but really don't think that is the cause of the problem. I have a new knock sensor, just haven't installed it yet.

Thanks for any help.

NISTECH

the knock code is a result of the car running poorly. and it will not set the light off the airflow code is whats triggering the light. in the rear of the enigine compartment on the passenger side. The main harness has a loop to it. with the car idleing try grabbing the harness between the clamp on the engine and the clamp on the shock tower and try moving it up and down and side to side as best as you can, its tight in there, so if the car stummbles or stalls. if so you have a broken or shorted wire in the loom. you need to break into the conduit and find the broken wire(s) and repair them. if this is not your problem go inside the car and remove the cover near the front passengers left foot and inspect for possible water contamination at the ecm connector. both of the above listed problems are common on the I30/maxima A32. more rare things are torn/split intake boot, wire problem near air flow meter. good luck

amadesian

A thousand thank yous!

It appears this is the problem. I wiggled the harness as suggested. This did cause the car to stumble. Since wiggling the harness, the car has been solid (maybe just a bad connection?)! Now I need to dig a little deeper and see which wire is causing the problem. But then again, the car is ok for now, maybe I will leave well enough alone ;-)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”