97 Hardbody Oxygen sensor/ engine wiring harness problem.

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Kdd1234
Car: 1997 Nissan Pickup Xe Extended Cab 2.4 liter, 5speed.

Specs. 97 Nissan d21 2.4l, 5spd. Bought the truck bout a year ago and have been trying to nail down the cause of it running rough intermittently. Well I’m fairly certain I have finally found the root of all these little problems that seem to keep it just one step away from running like a champ. Come to find out when the last owner had it the steering wheel weight became loose and would randomly blare the horn when the metal part would touch the horn contacts. He decided the best solution for that problem was just to pull out his pocket knife and cut the wire to what he determined to be the horn but after a continuity test from the o2 sensor pin at the ecm harness to the break in the wire he cut I determined it was the front oxygen sensor wire and the cut is in the middle of the wire run that goes into the driver side front corner of the engine bay then ran back to the cab through the inner fender well area and into the abyss they call the main wiring harness inside the cab. So I bought a soldering iron and did what I’m sure is a crappy soldering job on it and then covered with heat shrink. Seemed to be fixed till anywhere from like 5 mins after reaching normal operating temp to 15 mins or so. The problem is it almost seems like it falling out of time the longer I drive it. I’ve confirmed the timing, replaced almost every related timing parts, compression is 180 across all4. I read somewhere that with oxygen sensors you shouldn’t solder the connections. Also I have very limited knowledge of wiring wires. I think that wire was a shielded wire if that matters at all. I cut the soldered area out and just twisted and taped. That seemed to only add 15 mins or so before the performance decline acting like its falling out of time. I have a 96 parts truck. Is there something that I’m clearly doing wrong or missing or would it be easier just to try to swap the wiring harness. Again please forgive my lack of knowledge of wiring. Surely there’s something that can be done easier than swapping wiring harnesses. Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh and also no codes tripped. :gotme

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”