97 d21 ka24e turbo question.

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
lucky03602
Car: 96 d21 *work in progress*
01 xj Cherokee auto 4.0 4 1/2" lift 32x11.5x15 family dd

hello all. I bought and have been restoring a 97 Nissan pickup back to good and maintained condition. right now the rear frame is completely gutted, finally grinded down and plated where the rot was and due to cold weather just sitting with rust converter for the winter while in my garage. next spring a lot of por chemicals and por15 will be used.

until then ive been trying to figure out a way how to turbo my engine without removing or blocking the egr pipe. we do test emissions in new Hampshire for 96 and newer, and with my header installed the egr is even more of a pain to remove.

I don't want to go through turbo seals by leaving the egr open, but cant seem to figure out a way around it. possibly a ball valve installed on the pipe?? but there would be blow by of air.. I don't mind the code popping up to keep the turbo healthy, but need to keep everything good for inspection.

on a side note this truck is, and will remain 100% emission legal and such.

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

On the Altima I had and probably on your truck as well, the egr valve is dependent on a back pressure transducer that prevented the egr from opening unless there was enough vacuum in the manifold. That is, it can't open the valve at idle. With the turbo, the valve would probably still open as long as the boost was relatively low. If not, this part might need to be replaced with one from a turbocharged car. Will the egr affect the performance? Of course- it exists to lower combustion temperature and power output! But can the turbo improve performance with an egr still operating? Certainly. Turbo VW's, Volvos, Fords, even Nissans have egr systems and are still very fun to drive.

lucky03602
Car: 96 d21 *work in progress*
01 xj Cherokee auto 4.0 4 1/2" lift 32x11.5x15 family dd

it is something ive been batting around for a bit. my old 240sx I had turbo'd and just removed the egr and vac lines. everything ive read basically said with the egr stuff in place ill be going through turbo seals quite a bit. clearly I don't want to remove the egr system. I do know plenty of obd2 vehicles with similar emission systems are forced induction hence asking about options. what other egr valves could be used on my d21 that is from a forced induction vehicle? is there a stock ka24de that came in an American vehicle with forced induction? all I know about is the 3.0 from the frontier and xterra (supercharged)

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”