97 Altima GXE - Troubleshooting and questions.

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
mdirks225
Car: 1997 Altima GXE - Stock
1997 Silverado Z71

First off, I'm new too the forums, and i've searched for these issues; thank you for looking at this post lol.

I bought my GXE w/ 241k miles, driven it with no problems too 250k miles (motor is for the most part solid - but i think it does need a rebuild.) until recently.
The problem? I pulled into a parking spot, and the car just straight up died. It cranks over, has fuel, but no spark.

I'm thinking its the distributor since the motor cranks over no problem, but no spark too any plugs whatsoever; Ive tested this by using a spark tester on all cylinders and no spark.

I have yet too pull the rotor too check for oil, but does anyone have any suggestions on the type of dizzy i need? nissan reman, or oreilly's/autozone dizzy?

Now, in the past its had issues with idling weirdly since i got it - drop down to 500 rpms then back up too 700 normal at times.

Also, EGR Valve, and Knock Sensor pops up every 1k miles but goes away on its own.

These cars awesome. I've enjoyed mine since i got it (first car), always good gas mileage considering age (22 or 26 city/ 30 highway) until i put my foot into it which is expected.

mdirks225
1997 Silverado Z71

Update - I fixed it. Got a hitachi used distributor from a auto wrecking place, put it in and it fired right up.

Now, it idles at 500 and backfires on throttle at times... probably needs timing adjustment. But she runs :).

The engineer in me wants too know how and why the dizzy springs a leak? maybe through the bearing on the bottom of the rotor, or the shaft?

But then again, what makes sense is too next check the PCV valve. I may do that when i have money. Lol.

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

I put a new pcv valve in my Altima for around $3 plus shipping from Rock auto. $10 should be enough to check that out. The egr code may come from bad vacuum hoses and again that is not an expensive fix. Hoses go for around 70c per foot at autozone.

mdirks225
1997 Silverado Z71

Timothy S wrote:I put a new pcv valve in my Altima for around $3 plus shipping from Rock auto. $10 should be enough to check that out. The egr code may come from bad vacuum hoses and again that is not an expensive fix. Hoses go for around 70c per foot at autozone.
Not too bad. I may have too check into that. How hard is it too get to the PCV valve?

I do know i need too change both top and bottom radiator hoses, along with thermostat since ill be in that general area anyway.

This car sat for a year before i got it. most of the maintenance ive done too it has been just catching up lol. New tires, new starting system (starter, neutral safety switch), plugs, tie rod ends, etc.

I inherited the previous owners electrical f*** ups however... the original ignition cylinder wore out so he wired a new one in sloppily with the old one just dangling underneath the dash, essentially just piggybacked off the leads on the end.. as a result my sunroof hasnt worked since i got it :( probably cause of a wire not connected.

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

The PCV valve is under the passenger side of the intake manifold with access partially blocked by the power steering pump. Not hard to change, but you will have to work by touch only because you cannot see what you are doing. The valve connects a small metal box on the head to a 1/2" hose which connects to the lower half of the manifold.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”