1996-2004 Pathfinder / QX4 Strut Housing Corrosion Recall

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
goldie867
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder

I have a 99.5 SE Sport Pathfinder and I am negotiating a buyout. Can anyone provide me with advice and/or the amount they have received in their buyouts?

womanmarine
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Well . . . I am scheduled to "close" on the buyback of my 1998 Pathfinder on Friday, February 10th at the Nissan dealer that I took her to back on December 16th. So as far as a timetable goes, it will have been exactly 8 weeks from start to finish. I will be walking away with $5,475 for my '98 Pathfinder with 157,000 miles. They upgraded the condition from "good" to "excellent" and gave me $1,000 max increase over KBB. I will take out a loan and add the $$$ from Nissan to purchase a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer with 57,000 miles. It's nearly the exact same color as my Pathfinder with a lot more room and maybe a little better gas mileage because it's newer. I am very excited (not about a car payment, though) My Pathy was paid for a long time ago. I'm in the Buffalo area and the demand for SUV's is still surprisingly high. I can't even touch a used Nissan or Toyota unless you go back to about a 2004 or older. Then you're looking at still dealing with the same corrosion problems. I guess it's the cheaper steel and unless you get the undercarriage cleaned a lot!! it's gonna be a problem for the foreign makes. The Trailblazers hold up the best around here. What I AM SHOCKED about, however, is that NOT ONE SINGLE SALESPERSON from the Nissan dealer has contacted me and tried to be a representative for Nissan and try to get me into another Nissan. Nissan USA was big on making sure that the loaner car was a Nissan, but no one seemed to really care if I bought another one :frown: I'm done with Nissan. I wish all of you other owners the best of luck. I have looked at this as sort of a blessing in disguise. I was always afraid that I was going to have to determine when to stop putting $$ into her when "this or that" went; it was a really hard blow hearing the initial news, but the decision was made for me and I think I'm going to be happy :wavey:

suemagoo
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I spoke with a friend of mine last night who recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder. After she had it at a local shop for an oil change, the mechanic reminded her that she only had 1000 miles left before her warranty was up. She then took it to a Nissan dealer for a complete check up. Little did she know that they went ahead and peformed the recall fix! She had a quarter size hole beginning in her strut housing! I think this is going to go further than originally expected. If the '05 is starting to go it won't be long before the '06, '07, '08.... Please warn any of your friends that have newer models too!!!

spepi
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE

we had our 2002 pathy repaired last month for the Recall R1101, which took 1 day. The truck drove like a new one...yesterday we got another notice of a new recall, this time on the passenger side Recall # R1107....has anyone had this sent to them? It came from the same dealer that repaired the pathy last month. I cant beleive another came out for the passenger side...wouldnt they look at both sides and create 1 large recall for both sides? Dropping off tonight for service tomorrow. Let you all know what happens...

Pathfinder3.5
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE Gold

Just got our truck back from the dealership! It was a level 2 on driverside and a level 1 on the passenger. They seemed to do a very good job at patching it up. I didn't realize this was such a labour intensive job! The guy started at 7:46AM and ended at 5:26PM!

Now that this is done she's now forsale. Going to look at a low mileage 2003 LE this weekend!

roman8389
Car: 1998 Infiniti QX4

Just brought my QX4 back from the dealership today. It was a level 1 repair that took a couple days to fix. Got to cruise around in a nice '10 G37X in the meantime.

I was secretly hoping that it would be unrepairable, since I'm trying to sell it and they would have offered a lot more than I could otherwise sell it for. Oh well!

Thesaurica
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder

My 1996 Loaded Pathfinder with 90k miles was recalled on 12/20. I'm expecting a closing date in the next couple weeks. I'm in no rush while I drive the 2011 Altima. Nissan is giving me $5700 which is Private Sale excellent plus $1000. I'm not thrilled as this vehicle was often called a "mobile museum". It was rarely driven and treated well. I was expecting more negotiation but there was none.

I got a 2004 Loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee for $7000 with 100k miles. This vehicle was also treated well. Its a second car for the family so its not that big of a deal.

Thesaurica

I got to see my Pathfinder today as the inspection ran out on the Altima. They basically just stuck a new sticker on the Altima. But, my Pathy looked sad parked in a row with other sick Pathys. That car was almost like a dog to me.

Pathfinder3.5
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE Gold

Thesaurica wrote:I got to see my Pathfinder today as the inspection ran out on the Altima. They basically just stuck a new sticker on the Altima. But, my Pathy looked sad parked in a row with other sick Pathys. That car was almost like a dog to me.
I know how you feel! As I was driving mine to the dealership I was thinking to myself, Damn...this might be the last time I drive you :frown:

chrislrob
Car: 1997 Pathfinder

So it looks like I'm going for the record. I have been driving a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder rental for most of 5 months!

I just don't understand it.

I hate to lose my truck. It's a second car that has turned into a required car now that I drive to work everyday. I intended to drive it for a lot longer--I'm kind of fond of it.

And I do NOT NOT NOT want a new car note! I chose carefully so that this wouldn't happen to me and now, here we are--my truck up on blocks and unrepairable.

Every month, I hae to go in and have them re-write the rental contract. Anyone else have that happen? I had a different 2011 Pathy, but they "sold" it while I was driving around in it! Have no idea what that means.

NO ONE should be accepting less car than a Pathfinder unless they want to. Enterprise gave me no trouble at all. Take that Versa back! Unless you want great gas mileage--my gas mileage stinks.

Anyone else have more advice on how to get max KBB plus +$1000? Sick about this because I really just want my truck back, but I am determined to maximize any buyout.

Thanks.

Thesaurica

I just got a message from Morley that the funds have been approved and that they are ready to schedule the closing. The guy I'm buying my new used car from is expecting the lien release in a week. I'm a afraid to call Morely back...think that they'll let me schedule the closing late next week or will they pressure me to do it quickly (tomorrow)? I need the loaner until I get the new car!

chrislrob

Thesaurica wrote:I just got a message from Morley that the funds have been approved and that they are ready to schedule the closing. The guy I'm buying my new used car from is expecting the lien release in a week. I'm a afraid to call Morley back...think that they'll let me schedule the closing late next week or will they pressure me to do it quickly (tomorrow)? I need the loaner until I get the new car!
I don't think they'd have a problem with a closing next week. I wouldn't be surprised if the pressure at Morley is all on getting you to agree to terms moreso than getting you closed. But even if it is, tell them your problem: "I can't give up the loaner until I can get my new car." They'll either have to put up with it or, maybe, and I wouldn't be surprised depending on what their incentives are, offer you MORE money so that you can get a rental on your own and they can close the deal sooner.

The thing to remember is that Morley, Nissan, and even the car rental agency all have different goals. I have been in my new 2012 Pathfinder rental for 5 MONTHS. What is another week for you?

BoostMyQX4
Car: 96 Infiniti QX4

Zup guys Noob here.
We just bought a 97 QX4 very nice aside from the left fender needing replace because it was eating by the rust, anyhow i was looking at the strut housing because i replaced both front struts and i see that the driver side was fixed i dont know when, but the passenger side was not touched and it looks like its going to need to be patched.
Do i seat here and wait for a letter or do i just drive it to the infiniti dealer?
I dont know what to do because i never dealt with any issues like this and i find out about this forum by searching google on how to DIY for QX4.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

BoostMyQX4 wrote:Zup guys Noob here.
We just bought a 97 QX4 very nice aside from the left fender needing replace because it was eating by the rust, anyhow i was looking at the strut housing because i replaced both front struts and i see that the driver side was fixed i dont know when, but the passenger side was not touched and it looks like its going to need to be patched.
Do i seat here and wait for a letter or do i just drive it to the infiniti dealer?
I dont know what to do because i never dealt with any issues like this and i find out about this forum by searching google on how to DIY for QX4.
Drive it to any Infiniti dealer, you don't need to wait for a letter in the mail.

BoostMyQX4

Towncivilian wrote: Drive it to any Infiniti dealer, you don't need to wait for a letter in the mail.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Reckoned
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

I was riding on the Majr Deegan expressway in the rain 2 days after Christmas when I felt like I had no brakes.
I had my 2 year old in the backseat. For some reason, I didn't panic. It is almost as if I calmly accepted it, and somehow, I got off at my exit, braked at the red light, and the pedal went all the way to the floor and rolled through the light. I had no brakes. I rolled until I drove the truck into a curb at a gas station.

My recall notice was found at my dad's house. I never heard a thing about the recall.

The strut had crashed through the cylinder and severed the brake line. I kind of have a little PTSD over this. I could have been killed. My little girl could have been killed. I could have killed someone else or their child. I am still upset over this.

My Pathfinder was deemed completely unsafe and they are offering about 11000. I may ask for a little more, bc I didn't get a rental until 9 days after they grounded it. Also, i paid for a thousand doller brake job 2 months before. I am sad to say goodbye to this car, I really loved it.

chrislrob

Reckoned,

So sorry to hear about what happened. I had been driving at highway speeds for weeks before a similar thing happened to me. I had issues afterwards, too. It just so happened that after all of the highway driving I'd done, my steering went out completely as I turned down a side street after having come to a full stop. I could have easily been killed, too. I have a 3 year old that could have easily been in the car with me. The crazy thing is that, like you, I loved my truck and I hate to see it go. But even after I had (a now-I-know inadequate) repair done, I basically never drove it again. And I never put my boy in it at all. My wife couldn't understand why I thought it was safe enough for me, but not for my family. When I saw the recall issue online (never got a notice) I knew I had been right.

Reckoned
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

@chrislrob- Thank you, I am glad you and yours are safe as well. I hope we all get a good deal out of this, but I can't imagine finding a truck I liked better than my Pathfinder. It figures, I had a great car with all the extras, no car payment, nice looking, the Only prev owner was my husband's cousin, great mileage, and now I have to search all over again. Then again, I should probably stop whining and be glad I'm Okay. Best of luck to you.

BoostMyQX4

Call infiniti today and i was told that the recall was only for the driver side not both, since the driver side was done under the recall but not the passenger i can bring it in to infiniti but it will not be covered and it will come out of my pocket if i want it fixed. :frown:

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I believe your Infiniti dealer is mistaken. Print out the first 3 pages of this recall TSB and bring it in to your service adviser, see what they say.

OhOnePathy
Car: 01 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I had no idea there was a recall in effect...Not a word from Nissan or my dealer...I bought the fully loaded truck from Bay Ridge Nissan of Brooklyn, NY back in 2005. I have been to several dealers over the last year for minor repairs/service, and not one has told me of this recall. Brought the truck to a Firestone repair shop in October where I purchased all new tires. I told them I was having problems with steering/braking (grinding during turns, weak braking) in my 0'1 Pathfinder.They told me that the upper strut mounts needed replacing (No problem to drive it, it's totally SAFE they said) , so I brought it to my local repair shop where they performed the service. The grinding noise continued after the service, and the repair man said the steering linkage needed replacement, so I scheduled it...for THIS MORNING...He calls me back telling me of the recall, and now the truck sits waiting for inspection.

I'm kinda figuring I was living on borrowed time, having driven the truck at highway speeds with such problems. I'm sure the steering grinding/brake loss is indication of an unrepairable situation. I can't wait to hear what they offer me...probably some laughable amount.

I have been the Host/Executive Producer of an outdoor shooting sports TV show for the last four years. I have no problem getting my film crew out to the dealer's lot and doing a little journalism on this....Let's see what happens...

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Sorry to hear that you never received a recall notice. You can always call 1-800-NISSAN1 and complain of that fact. Good luck with the inspection, I hope the damage is repairable!

OhOnePathy

Just spoke to the dealer, looks like I am getting the Nissan Bandaid repair. I will let you folks know what it looks like, with pics ASAP.

-Paulie

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You may want to read the recall TSB posted at the end of the first post in this topic. It has descriptions and pictures of the repair. Since you are having steering and brake issues, you may end up getting a new steering shaft and brake master cylinder and/or driver's side front brake line as well.

Welcome to NICO, by the way. Hope you'll stick around!

OhOnePathy

@ Towncivilian

Thanks for the welcome! I think I've been a member for a while but forgot the other usr name..heh..

I actually did read the dealer repair PDF, but forgot which campaign the dealer told me it fell under. I'll ask many question of them tomorrow for sure. Then I'm selling her..as much as I hate to part with this beloved truck (It's my first vehicle, and I'm 46 years old!) I don't think I can trust her like I used to. Just put a nice sound system in it last Summer...damn...

All Hail LORD Fusor...Let's see if it holds.

suemagoo

Well, looks like we're getting all settled here. I accepted Morley's offer of $7865 yesterday. Still haven't gotten the email document yet. I can't believe they say another 3 weeks before I'll get my check!? Even though I bought an '08 Honda Pilot last night, I will gladly continue to drive their Rogue around for a while longer! Save the miles from my car... ;) I also have filed for reimbursement from Nissan for the repair I had done over 2 years ago. Hopefully that all goes smoothly as well. This has all been quite an eye opener for me. With all the things I have read about this recall and others that Nissan has had, I can't believe they are still in business. They really need some lessons in customer service. Even though I have a nice, newer vehicle now, and a car payment for the first time in 6 years :tisk: , I am still very sad to give up my Pathfinder. I wish they could have just fixed her. :frown:

Mzchanel05
Car: 1997 SE nissan pathy

My grandma was the previous owner barely drove 1997SE pathy. Ive had the car about 4yrs n i have about 142000 miles never had major problems then last year starter, & fuel pump went out. About july i noticed steering problems, grinding and hard to turn i even had to keep putting steering fluid n brake fluid in for one week cause brakes were shock. I started noticing when i turned the wheel just a little bit it felt like i was gonna lose control n crash. I heard abt the recall n took my car to nemet nissan in queens, ny on jan 30th. First they gave me a small versa n after complaining they gave me a 2011 altima. Julie @ morley clld me on 2/6 needed me to fax information over (title,driver license,registration). She also said it would take 1-2 weeks to find out what third party inspector has determined abt corrision. I called today to verify fax was recieved and was told inspection is done car is unsafe should hear from buy out re I need advice from anyone because i really need it. Im a full time college tgytstudent on unemployment with a 3mnth old baby. I wanted a new car but not NOW!!!!!!! I really cant afford payments n i dont wanna take whatever money they give me and buy a car cash as i will be in deeper s*** proba :laugh: bly with keeping up with it. Kbb said my car is worth $4700 good condition even i get :laugh: a "$1000 bonus" that still wont help much. And i did have work done to the car but a shade mechanic fixed my problems so i have no receipts

suemagoo

Mzchanel05 wrote:My grandma was the previous owner barely drove 1997SE pathy. Ive had the car about 4yrs n i have about 142000 miles never had major problems then last year starter, & fuel pump went out. About july i noticed steering problems, grinding and hard to turn i even had to keep putting steering fluid n brake fluid in for one week cause brakes were shock. I started noticing when i turned the wheel just a little bit it felt like i was gonna lose control n crash. I heard abt the recall n took my car to nemet nissan in queens, ny on jan 30th. First they gave me a small versa n after complaining they gave me a 2011 altima. Julie @ morley clld me on 2/6 needed me to fax information over (title,driver license,registration). She also said it would take 1-2 weeks to find out what third party inspector has determined abt corrision. I called today to verify fax was recieved and was told inspection is done car is unsafe should hear from buy out re I need advice from anyone because i really need it. Im a full time college tgytstudent on unemployment with a 3mnth old baby. I wanted a new car but not NOW!!!!!!! I really cant afford payments n i dont wanna take whatever money they give me and buy a car cash as i will be in deeper s*** proba :laugh: bly with keeping up with it. Kbb said my car is worth $4700 good condition even i get :laugh: a "$1000 bonus" that still wont help much. And i did have work done to the car but a shade mechanic fixed my problems so i have no receipts
The dealer should give you a rental, on Morley's dime. I've had one for a month now and have at least 2 more weeks before this is all said and done. I would fight with Morley to get $6000+. Just keep saying their offer isn't good enough.
Then go buy a used honda. It will last forever!

Mzchanel05
Car: 1997 SE nissan pathy

Thanks sue i actually do have a nice rental i will try to get 6000+ for my pathy. I guess now is my waiting game

BoostMyQX4

Towncivilian wrote:I believe your Infiniti dealer is mistaken. Print out the first 3 pages of this recall TSB and bring it in to your service adviser, see what they say.
Where? Do i have to look for one?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”