96 Nissan Altima Gxe No Start

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
eusid
Car: 96 Nissan Altima Gxe

I started to have problems with the car a while back. I didn't know anything about working on cars at this point. The mechanic is telling me the TPS is bad. So I replaced the TPS, and ECU when the TPS didnt solve it. Turns out my power steering pump was locking up. I replaced the power steering pump. After replacing the power steering pump I am having problems starting the vehicle. I print out all of the electrical diagrams from the FSM and start testing things. I discover that my resistor is partially melted so I go to the junkyard and get a new one. There is no 12v to the ignition coil. From the best I can tell the problem is the wiring harness. I have an engine with some life left and I'm really trying to not have to junk this car.

Before I go trying to fix other things I just wanted to ask if there is something else besides the wiring harness that would keep the 12v line dead to ignition coil? Also you should note I have already swapped out ECUs in my wild goose chase trying to fix it with our now EX-mechanics help. After figuring it out for myself I've determined they are incompetent at solving my vehicle problems and it would be more productive to DIY but there is only so much information that I can obtain through manuals so I ask here.

Thanks

ezb57e

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your experience.
The melted resistor, do you mean the one before the coil?
Are there any trouble codes?
Is there no power at the black/red wire to the coil?
There is a fuse, the ignition switch, 2 connectors involved with getting power to the coil. Look at EC-211 here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/1996/ec.pdf
The inspection for the circuit follows.
Good luck.

eusid

Yes the resistor that comes before the coil. There is no 12v on the black/red wire to the coil. The melted resistorI believe is on the same line before reaching the coil . When I was at the junkyard I noticed that almost all of these resistors were melted or beginning to melt. I spliced a fairly new one in that is in good condition.

I have the FSM and I'm unfortunately familiar with these diagrams. I'm not very competent myself at all this. Just starting to understand the ignition systems. I have already look at the FSM and done much of the troubleshooting. I OHM tested my transistor and it appears to be in working order. The FSM troubleshooting leads me to believe that it is the harness. My transistor OHM tests fine, I replaced the ECM and Resistor before the coil. I tested for harness continuity also and had none but I would feel better to redo that test. My equipment was makeshift.

I have thought for a while it was the harness from the testing but I just can't invset more time in money in trying things if I'm not positive they are going to work. So i am here for a little guidance.

Where can I find this fuse you speak of ? I need to learn to read these diagrams.

ezb57e

You have to figure out why there is no power on that black/red wire.
The fuse is shown at the top of the diagram we are talking about.
The actual fuse is a big block style, I believe it is in the box next to the battery.
It its OK, you need check for power out of the ignition switch on a black/red wire.
If its OK there, you can check at the 2 connectors shown in the diagram.
There location can be found in the harness layout section of the EL portion of the manual.
I know this is not easy, and its hard to explain online.
I would be tempted to feed battery power to the coil and see if this will be your main problem.
If that works, you can figure out where you are losing power. It could be in the harness but this is rare.
Good luck.

eusid

Thanks for the guidance. I will take a look at the fuses. That is the one component of this I overlooked in my testing.

I do believe the fuse may be the problem. When I first put the car back together and connected the battery I heard a sound from said fuse box for some time. I feel like such an a** for not looking more into it, but at the same time would be happy to be on the road for a fuse.

I will update tomorrow night and let you know what I find.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”