96 infiniti won't start

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
mdukti
Car: 1996 infiniti i30

Hello,
When I went to start my i30 yesterday, I turned the key and everything electrical instantly shut off (all dash lights, radio, etc.) and the car would not start. I got out and opened the hood and shut it then got back in and all of the lights worked again until I turned the key. Then everything died again instantly. I did some searching online and I thought it may be the anti theft system shutting the car down for some reason but I am not sure.

Now none of the lights on the vehicle are working (no domelight, headlights, anything electrical) whether I turn the key or not. I was going to try jump starting the car even though my initial impression was not a battery problem. Does anyone else have any addition suggestions? I appreciate any help. I would love to get the car started (even if it is just to get it into a repair shop so I don' t have to have it towed.

Thanks

mdukti
Car: 1996 infiniti i30

I was able to jump start the car and replacing the battery seems to be all I needed. I have had bad batteries in other cars before, but they did not act like this one did. It didn't show any signs of getting weak, and died instantly, but the new battery is doing the trick.

This site is great by the way. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Glad we could help :D

and :welcome: to NICO!

Batteries tend to have a couple of different failure modes... I have seen them power accessories fine and then completely drop out under a heavy load (like the starter). I think that usually indicates a dead cell. Either way, it sounds like you're good to go!

Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”