96 I30 shift lock

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
epmeyer

The shift lock is acting up on my 96 i30. Basically, the solenoid stays engaged when the key is out (allowing the shifter to move out of park when the key is out), but occasionally doesn't engage when the key is turned on and the brake pedal pushed. I have run through the diagnostics in the FSM with these results:

- circuit from ignition cylinder is correct and working.

- cable from the ignition switch moves freely

- brake pedal circuit is correct and working.

- The shifter position sensor is working (voltage changes when the shifter is moved out of park), but it does not notice whether the button is pushed or not when the shifter is in park. Unclear from the FSM whether it should see the button. - the solenoid works correctly according to the troubleshooting procedure.

- the ground wire shows no continuity in one direction and about 1k ohm resistance in the other. the FSM says it should have no continuity in one direction and continuity in the other.

I'm thinking the diode is losing it, but I would like a second opinion before I try to find it and change it (its location is unclear in the FSM, appears to be behind the center dash near the windshield in the wiring harness picture?)

Can anybody confirm this diagnosis or correct it before I start digging deeper into the dash?

NISTECH

is the outside of the solonid covered in a sticky substance,like coke or coffee? most common failure of the shift lock system is the solonoid hangs up because people can keep control of their fluids. If you can R&R the solonoid clean it with some water and dry it throughly with compressed air and retry it. I have had it work about 50% of the time. Good luck.

And welcome to nico.

epmeyer

No such luck. The solenoid is clean and dry. It passes the tests in the FSM. The behavior is just backwards - it pushes out when the key is out of th ignition, allowing the stick to move. Then as soon as you put in the key and turn it to "run", it pulls back and you can't get it out of park.

Cleaning contacts on the connectors has gotten it to where most of the time it works now after one or two re-pushes of the brake pedal.

So I gather from your comments, you suspect the solenoid?

NISTECH

yes

epmeyer

Bummer. Courtesy Nissan want $70 for the solenoid. I decided to go with plan 2 - I disabled it.

These safety/antitheft features are OK as long as they don't interfere with driving your own car, but once they do, who needs it...

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”