96 Hardbody 4x4 manual transmission replacement candidates

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
NissaDIY
Car: 96 Hard body 4x4 (man.)

Hi, my transmission is shot out (stuck in 4th from Oklahoma to Jacksonville, FL). I imagine after that rough drive, it might not be a good idea to rebuild it, but I haven't taken it apart yet.

I found a guy here in town with an 82 4x4 tranny for sale. He says it might fit. I'm thinking it's the same engine, so it should fit. Will it? He only wants 500 and says it was recently rebuilt.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

I had that exact thing happen to mine. It was the counter gear set axle had snapped in half at the bearings in the center plate. I did get it rebuilt, but with parts from another tranny and with new bearings, seals and synchros from a kit. I wish I had my pictures handy and not archived. It was kind of an adventure. From running red lights and stop signs, bogging and revving, just to get it home, to taking it all apart in my apartment dining room. From inventing new tools to pull gears apart to testing my first major rebuild component. Good times! Would not do again either!

500 is expensive for a transmission. But I don't know AWD, maybe that's the norm. I don't think it fits your engine though. Different era, different bellhousing, different sensors, possibly different length. I'd look for a better match and hope for a better price.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”