96 door latch manual locks replacement

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
itsmarkk
Car: 96 240sx

Hi,

New here and new to 240sx, so sorry if these are dumb questions. I am trying to repair a friend's 96 240sx driver's side door lock. The locks were originally manual with an after market alarm and door lock actuators. The driver's side would not unlock, I believe because the door latch mechanism is worn out. Moving the lock handle inside barely makes the lock/unlock work.

Questions: I see that 1996's are in the 95-98 category.

Does that mean the mechanism from a 95, 97, or 98 will fit?

If I can only find an OEM power lock latch, will that fit in place of the manual non-power unit?

If OEM power unit, I assume that I can wire it in to alarm instead of the after market actuator, correct?
(I'm good at electrical, so basically asking if it would be direct wire in or if would need to wire in a relay(s) or some sort.)

Anyone have a replacement latch unit for sale?

Thanks in advance.

Mark K

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

I haven't dug into the doors on an S14, but usually in my experience when lock gets sticky usually the power actuator is at fault. The manual locks on S-chassis cars are very simple. Just a few bars connecting the door latch to the handles, so there's not a lot of room for things to foul up. Clean out the door latch and lube it, and if that doesn't fix the issue, make sure the power actuator your friend installed isn't the culprit.

As far as what years you can get pieces from, they should be the same from 95-98. If you try to land OE power equipment, try your best to get 96 as there are electrical differences year to year in the second gen. If you want to go with OE, grab a service manual from our online library http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM

Keep an eye on our classifieds for S14 part outs if you end up needing to buy pieces.

And welcome to NICO :)

itsmarkk
Car: 96 240sx

Pretty sure it is not the actuator. On the latch unit, I can see the very large amount of play in the tab, and it has to really get towards the top of its travel to unlock the door.

Since the factory power lock stuff is not there, does it really make a difference if it is a 96 or not?

Thanks for the help!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Like I said, for the actual bars and latch, it doesn't matter what year. Just stay in the second generation years of 95-98. But you mentioned OE power equipment, so I replied by suggesting you try to find power equipment from a 96 if you go that direction.

If you're seeing a lot of play, it's possible that one of the plastic collars that holds the bars in place is stretched out. You can order those from Nissan.

matthewdin
Car: Bmw

It's long time to post reply here but i was also trying to do replacement last week but it ends up with some serious lock issue. Then Reno locksmith near me helped in replacing the locks.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”