96 240 check engine light HELP

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
redrocket
Car: 1987 200sx SE, 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic Crew Cab, and 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R

well i was driving around last night and my check engine light came on no biggie I will just go get it check, well I just back from auto zone because they offer free testing for that kind of stuff well guy goes outside to run a test on my car and it runs clean I was like WTF I started the car let it run then had him clear it out and retest it still nothing is there a way to cut the light off without cutting the light or has anyone experienced this problem

Robbie

Daunttless

You could try resetting your ECU. That should clear all the lights.... Although its weird that the light is coming on without throwing a code....

redrocket
Car: 1987 200sx SE, 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic Crew Cab, and 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R

i know that is what i don't understand I reset it later that is if it quits raining down hereRobbie

S14 Stud

yea reset it, but before you do run the codes yourself see maybe they missed one or something...that's what I did

MikeS14240sx

The engine lite can turn its self off. After I was done changing my belts I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor and I started the car and the engine light came on. It stayed on for about a week, just before I was going to reset the ecu the light turned off by its self.

Is this a normal thing????

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

I always kinda wondered how you guys are "running the codes". Where are you seeing these "codes". How do you reset your ECU? How do you run a diagnostics on it?

AunVoh

umm, it was on http://www.240sx.org, but they are redoing it, so the FAQ is down, but basicly you turn the screw on the back of the ecu clockwise and then counter clockwise, and the ecu flashs, then you count the number of flashs, then you check it with a list of number's. pretty much like that, i have the list around here, but i don't really feel like typing in 100+ codes :rolleyez

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Aight dude thanks for the info.

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

MikeS14240sx wrote:The engine lite can turn its self off. After I was done changing my belts I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor and I started the car and the engine light came on. It stayed on for about a week, just before I was going to reset the ecu the light turned off by its self.

Is this a normal thing????
No... that's not normal. It is entirely possible that your light may have burned out... Mine was on for a LONG time after I installed my intake.. I forgot to hook the IAT sensor back up... dumb a$$!But I had to reset it for it to turn off... as far as I know, once it comes on, it stays on even if the problem goes away, until it is reset. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of it resetting automatically.

AunVoh

np dude, just make sure you remember where your screw[on the back of the ecu] is before you start, you'll need to put it back there to drive it ;)

Daunttless

I can't remember how many times you have to start it, but the check engine light will go away if the problem is fixed and the car has x amount of problem free starts. : ) But as I remember, its a TON of problem free starts, because they figure if the work was done someone would have remembered to clear the ecu. : )

AunVoh

Note: it's far worse to keep Restarting your engine without need, this goes to anyone that is thinking of doing this instead of reseting your ecu.

Bbill528
Car: Cars, running, skiing

my brother test drove a 95 SE today and the check engine light came on when nothing seemed wrong except maybe a slipping clutch. And the car had just been repaired from being in an accident. Kinda weird. I really want a 95-96 240 anybody have one they would like to get of their hands?:D

S14 Stud

on my friend's vr4...the light goes out as soon as a problem is fixed, without having to restart the engine. but anyways...hey bill how much do you want to spend on s14, I have a friend looking for one for me right now that works at a Nissan dealership and he said he can get me one for about 3500-4500 in great condition. My sis lives down in Jacksonville, NC and I could possible drop it off in a few months when I go visit her

Bbill528

my limit is about 6,000, but i'd like to spend less so that i can modify it a little. If you could get one for 3500-4500 or one at all that would be great man, let me know if you ever come across some, you would be my hero.:ylsuper (must be manual, preferably SE, doesn't have to be though.) THANKS

S14 Stud

yea man we have lots for sale for under 6 around here...what about the miles? want like something under 120K?

MikeS14240sx

If the oil needs to be changed the engine light will come on and as soon as you change the oil and start the car the light turns off. That could be why the light came on when nothing seemed to have a problem.

redrocket

but my oil doesn't need to be change plus I have gone over the 3000 mile mark by a lot before and nothing ever happened

MikeS14240sx

I meant it in bBill case, thats could have been why the light came on. Of course I wouldn't buy a car that was just repaired from an accident anyways.

MaineExport

redrocket wrote:but my oil doesn't need to be change plus I have gone over the 3000 mile mark by a lot before and nothing ever happened
OK.. your car doesn't know when you've gone 3000 miles since the last oil change.... besides, I've never heard of a car that knows when the oil needs to be changed.. if it gets low, then you might be right, but I don't know of any oil sensor that can detect when it is getting bad... then again maybe I'm just an idiot

MaineExport

Daunttless wrote:I can't remember how many times you have to start it, but the check engine light will go away if the problem is fixed and the car has x amount of problem free starts. : ) But as I remember, its a TON of problem free starts, because they figure if the work was done someone would have remembered to clear the ecu. : )
When I said I had mine on for a long time, It was nearly a year. The day it came on I fixed the problem, just reconnected the sensor. The car had several hundred trouble free starts and the light stayed on. At the time I became accustomed to it and didn't feel the need to have it reset. I eventually had it done by a local shop when I had some other work done. The tech read the code and it was ONLY the IAT sensor, and the problem had been long since resolved. But if 10 months of trouble free starts didn't reset the light, I don't know what will!!

Bbill528

Yeah under 120k sounds good, as long as it's in good shape and almost everything is in working order it's all good.

redrocket

hey maine what you were syaing about lights coming on for an oil change check out your hondas my ex had a 98 civic and it had a little light that change from grenn to like orange when she needed a new oil change and I have also seen a GM full size truck with something similar but then again those are probably reset by the person or the oil change plave and it just reads till 3000 miles and the changes colors not real sure though

Robbie

MaineExport

redrocket wrote:hey maine what you were syaing about lights coming on for an oil change check out your hondas my ex had a 98 civic and it had a little light that change from grenn to like orange when she needed a new oil change and I have also seen a GM full size truck with something similar but then again those are probably reset by the person or the oil change plave and it just reads till 3000 miles and the changes colors not real sure though

Robbie
I did not know that, sounds pretty cool! If such a thing exists I wonder how it works? I'll have to check it out, thanks for the info!

numatik
Car: cars

No one ever said how to reset the ECU yourself!

I don't think that when you read the codes that it resets it. There must be another way.

Thanks in advance

ash1y1
Car: Cars, Gadgets & Gizmos, Computers, Health, Travel

How do I reset the ECU? And does that negatively effect the car in any way?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”