96 200sx swaped to sr20det redtop

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
punkfarmer83
Car: 96 nissan 240sx

well i just bought a 96 200sx with a sr20det swap. its running around 11 lbs of boost... turbo is leaking on exhaust side will this hurt the engine?and it has a very rough idle and it wants to idle at 500 rpmish and stalls alot and i was wondering if somebody could tell me how to adjust the idle up to maybe 750 or something. anything would help because when stoping it wants to stall constantly and requires fancy clutch work... lolany help would be appricated

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

May not be boosting properly with that leak. Is it at/near the turbo itself or past the jpipe?

Is your BOV recirculated?

What MAF setup are you running? (stock, Z32, blow-through, etc?)

punkfarmer83

bov is externalthe leak is inbetween the turbo i think or its right after it its the seal between the turbo or the exhaust seal...i have no idea about maf senor...i just bought it today actually now im having problems... lolif i hit a bump the radio cuts out and sometimes the all my gauges. but it still runs but wont build boost properly. it seems like tis back firing about 3k and wont go past that then everything comes back on sometimes and it runs fine other than boost leak it is set at 12 and leaks to 9 under boost when it running right. does anybody know if they make a wireing harness for the sr20det for a 96 200sx? i need help or if anybody lives in western pa.... lol

nametakennow

BOV is external as in you vent to atmosphere? If so, what sort of engine management are you running to compensate for that? For that matter, what ECU/engine management are you using?

A leak that close to the exhaust fins could cause pressure to deviate such that you're not boosting properly. So you don't hold peak boost once you hit it? Definitely a significant leak. Your engine management may not be able to compensate for the varying boost level very well. Again, it depends on what you're using.

Stock wiring harness is fine. It sounds like the grounding may be poor though.

Honestly it sounds like someone half-***ed the install and sold it because they didn't know how to fix it. What DET is it?

punkfarmer83

yes they half assed it i have no idea about the ecu.... or anything.... anywhat to tell??? yes bov is in atmosphere i was told it would probably be on postive battery cable somewhere because it would die completly if it was losing ground... maybe a fuseable link somewhere?its a red topim going to buy new gaskets off ebay and i was figuring just might as well buy the rebuild kit as well.... and trying to find the shortthis car has lots of problems... lol

punkfarmer83

also i forgot it supposedly has the stock computer and a piggy back ecu of some sort.... sorry im not much help... lol

nametakennow

Red top means Bluebird, but there were multiple generations of it.

Anyway, BOV to atmosphere is likely part of your problem, or at least isn't helping. Try to determine what sort of piggyback it is (it should have a control module in the cabin)? Many people don't know how to set things up right for an atmospheric BOV. Honestly, though, I'd get a hose and recirc it. It's easier to set up the management and is more efficient use of the intake system anyway.

To determine what ECU, you could pull it and check the numbers on the back. Even a Google search should tell you what they are.

I'd probably take apart much of this setup (all the IC/intake piping and the turbo/downpipe) and go over it to figure out what you really have. You probably need to replace the gaskets on the turbo anyway, so you'll be most of the way there.

trbob13
Car: 1998 nissan 200sx se-r

it also depends on what kind of blow off valve you have. i had an hks ssqv on my boosted b13 and i didnt have any problem with idleing. an easy way to check your i/c system is to pressure test it. my car had a few boost leaks when i first finished it which made it run like a**. after i tested the system, it ran really good. and also, there should be a large vacuum hose that runs from the bottom of the intake manifold that should be connected to your i/c pipes. that NEEDS to be connected.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”