95 S14 wont start

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ABIOTIC91
Car: 95 240sx

So iv been waiting a couple weeks to get my car running. Thought i had a dead battery, charged it. Tried starting it and nothing, not even a click from the starter. So i thought try and brand new battery (the one in the car was old). Got a brand new gold battery from Farm & Fleet. Tried again, same thing. All dash lights came on and tried starting but nothing. Not even a click.
So someone said told me it sounds like a starter issue. So i JUST put in the brand new starter, and the same problem. Dash lights, turn the key and nothing.
Frustrated. Car has been sitting in the garage during nice days.
Please help
Thank you

ca18det_boy

check the wire going to the starter solenoid. Have someone attempt to start it and measure the voltage going through the wire. If you have 12V going to the solenoid then the starter and wiring checks out which means you could be looking at a grounding issue. If you don't have 12V going to the solenoid then you're potentially looking for wiring gremlins or a bad switch. Good luck and happy hunting! Be sure to keep us posted on the results and we can help diagnose it further.

Cheers!

ca18det_boy

Also, is it an auto/manual/or manual swapped S14?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Just two weekends ago mine wouldn't start! It took me a few minutes, but I found a black circle of plastic on the floor board. That goes into the clutch pedal. That plastic piece lines up right above the clutch pedal switch and pushes the button! So, check your pedal and make sure it's pushing the button in if you have a 5 speed. I taped mine back on, started right up! PS - mine's a '95 as well. Otherwise, check your fuses and relays. New battery and new starter should cover all the other bases. Except maybe the ignition switch. They go bad. Mine did about four years ago. Cheap part online. Let us know when you get it working and what fixed it please!

ABIOTIC91

It was a ground issue and a bad fuse.
I made sure every ground was tight and well grounded. Not sure which ground it was because i did all of them. And the fuse must have blown when i tried the new starter for the first time, because it was good when the old starter was in.
But thank you for all the responsed. And iv heard about that clutch switch issue. Seems as that happens a lot.

Also for future reference its a KA manual S14

ca18det_boy

SWEET! Glad you got it sorted quickly.

ABIOTIC91

So now a different problem.
The car starts and idles around 800 or 850rpm steadily. And then dies after about 10 seconds. I can restart it after and the same thing.
Also the previous owner plugged a couple vacuum lines running from the intake, the smaller tubes underneath the intake are the ones that are plugged. Because the intake that is on the car does not have holes for the vacuum lines to run

centralcoaster33

Well, I'm not sure exactly what's been plugged or bypassed, but I can look at my car. I'm guessing it ran fine before your ground and fuse issues. Is that right? You could have vacuum issues or EGR not working, but that might go out the window if it worked okay previously.

ABIOTIC91

Yes it worked ok previously. The vacuum lines that have been plugged are the 3 small ones directly underneath the throttle body. The larger hose running from the intake to the valve cover was replaced with a small breather filter. I tried removing all the plugs and seeing what happens, same thing. Idles at a nice 850rpm. Then dies immediately.

UPDATE
I unplugged the MAF and it idled better and stays running. When giving it some throttle it breaks up pretty bad and wants to die. So could this be a MAF problem?

centralcoaster33

Could be. Unplug your TPS and start the car. See if it runs at all. You should be able to set idle and check timing with the TPS unplugged. But, if the MAF is failing, it won't run at all or like complete crap. So, it's a bit of a litmus test. The car needs at least the TPS or the MAF to work or it won't run and compensate for the other. Try that.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”