'95 Pathfinder worth putting performance mods in?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
C4TM4N
Car: 1995 Nissan Pathfinder

Hello,
This is my first time posting on here. I was wanting to know if the 1995 Pathfinder is worth sinking money into for performance upgrades. I love how the vg30e sounds and drives but it almost has 200k miles and hasn’t been taken care of very well over it’s life span so far. The previous owner doesn’t know when the transmission fluid was last changed and almost every fluid in the car excluding oil changes. So I would love some tips and suggestions for what kind of things should be replace first before upgrading and what the best first steps for making it into a performance car would be.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue May 16, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

Welcome! My recommendation is to do some thorough diagnosis first on the overall condition of the vehicle before you even think about changing anything from factory. You could check the following:
1. What is the condition of engine? Compression check and examining spark plugs will tell you a lot. Have any oil leaks?
2. What's the condition of the transmission? Drain the fluid, remove the drain pain and look for excess debris - and how does it shift?
3. How do the brakes perform?
4. How stable and on-track is the steering and suspension?
5. How structurally sound is the frame? Get underneath with a flashlight and look for rust, cracks on frame rails, signs of previous repairs and then look for cracked and/or worn suspension bushings

Of course all this is contingent upon whether you're able to do most repairs yourself or will need the help of a professional. If your pathfinder passes all the tests of basic functionality and safety, then you'd be in a better position to do performance modifications. What kind of modifications you can do at that point will depend entirely on how big of a pile of cash you want to spend in order to squeeze more HP out of it. However, if you're looking for relatively easy, bolt-on modifications that will transform that engine in a significant way, I'd say look elsewhere unless you're an experienced engine builder with great fabrication skills. That year Pathfinder's V6 was rated at 150hp on a +4000 pound vehicle and that kind of power-to-weight ratio is hard to overcome without spending big $$$.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

I think you would be best served by first catching up on deferred maintenance. Change fluids, but emphatically, do not flush the auto box. Change fluid in it, but do no flush. Repack the front wheel bearings. The rear trailing arms, or whatever they're called are known to be problematic at high mileage and cause "death wobble". Check the front suspension, the RH steering rack boot will likely be torn, seems like they all are. Replace it if it's not leaking too badly, or rebuild or change the rack if it is. Well, really both boots, but for some reason the RH always seems to go first.

Then decide if you want to go further. I'm not a Nissan expert, but I'm not sure there are a lot of performance upgrades for the engine, which is only rated at ~170 or so. But performance upgrades might include a modest lift, locking/unlocking hubs assuming it's 4WD. Bigger/better tires. A bull bar. Skidplate. Hell, even perhaps seats or interior. How do you define it? But I think getting it to drive like new would be your first step.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”