95-j30t flickering

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
95-J30tt
Car: 95 Infiniti J30tt (Twin Turbo)

Hi all:i'm new to this forum, i'm wondering if enyone had this problem, i have a 95 j30t, i changed the alternator and the battery 8 monthes ago, thinking that it died, but the same problem was happening in the new alternator, the car kept dying on me after about 15 mins of driving, then i found out that if i rev it to 5rpm or so, it would start running normal but the all the lights flicker "interrior and exterrior", any suggestions on what to check..... P.S. : the problem with the alternator started when i changed the headlights 9 monthes ago, i found out that the new lights run at 80W "just plain generic lights, nothing speacial about them" but the specs of the car show 55W, i would appreciate any help... thank you

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Your wiring to your lights will burn up with 80 W bulbs !!!Stick with OEM spec !!I would check to see if you have melted the insulation on the headlamp wires somewhere and possibly causing a short .

93j30t

why would you run a headlamp that different than the wiring? of course your having problems is it happening when you are having your lights on? i suggest you bite the bullet, go to the infiniti dealership and buy the oem lights

NismoChi
Car: 94 J30

93j30t wrote:why would you run a headlamp that different than the wiring?
93j30t wrote:
Because he ( me, too) wants more light output from higher wattage bulbs.The reason he is having problem because he didn't upgrade the wiring harness at the same time. Because the higher wattage bulbs also produce more heat, it will melt the stock wire and the headlight sockets and causing all different kind of problems. Spend $30 for a upgrade harness like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItemOr $15 in a part store for a relay, a fuse, two 9006 sockets and some 10-12 gauge wire to make your own harness and be done with it. Doing that will also make your higher wattage bulbs even brighter. Trust me on this.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Is your alternator Nissan OEM?

Non OEM alternators are known to cause all sorts of electrical and ignition issues. No one exactly knows why, but a whole bunch of us have experienced it.

BTW.....welcome to NICO!!!

95-J30tt
Car: 95 Infiniti J30tt (Twin Turbo)

Thank you for all your help, i removed the 80W bulbs right away after the problem and i bought the 55W from the dealership...., but i guess it was too late because the problem was still happening..... i was working on the car all night last night, and i found that the bulbs wires are partially melted "and the socket too", so i got a set "off a junk yard", and i installed it, i thought i solved the problem but it came back but less flickering this time, so i took out the ulternator and i found a wire that was not connected proparly, it was very a very loose connection, so i put everything back and now it is working like a charm, thank you again for all your suggestions and help

by the way this forum rocks

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”