95 D21 Rad support replacement

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Tropicalcats
Car: 1995 Nissan HardBody EX King Cab 2 Wheel Drive

Need to have my Rad support replaced in my 95 D2. The PO was involved in a minor accident but enough to to tweak it out of shape to the point the new hood won’t fit. The bottom piece of the rad support is also rusted through.
I have found a shop to replace it since it’s beyond my tools and skill level. My question is this. What all needs to come off to replace the rad support and what else should I replace ? Radiator? What else ?
Thanks

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Replaced several core supports. Just an opinion. I would carefully check the frame - body mounts and the inner fender where the core support is spot welded to the inner fender. IF Any are rusted out I would rethink putting $$$$ into the truck. Check the headlight bezels for rust. IF you decide to due any of the work. THERE IS A SENSOR FOR THE AIR BAG LOCATED BY THE HOOD. I would remove the grille - unbolt the radiator and bend the core support so the hood closes properly. There is a brace that unbolts by the hood latch which needs to be adjusted. There is a lot of adjusting that can be done with the hood latch and the hood hinges.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

As far as the lower part of the core support being rusted out. Possibly that it can be repaired by cutting out the rusted section and welding a section of square tubing or flat iron to support the bottom part of the radiator??? Make sure the headlights are functional and can be aimed. If the truck has A/C figure in more $$$$$ . Beyond that I would not recommend taking things apart. Say the engine went bad and to save $$$- you removed the engine and tore it down and brought it to the mechanic to fix it. Can only imagine what he would tell you. Hows the rest of the body? Most of them you don’t want to transport a pet to the vet for fear it won’t be there when you arrive?

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”