95 Altima 2.4 - Stumbles on hard throttle/sluggish up hills

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
anomalyjustin
Car: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L

Hey guys. I have a 95 Altima with a 2.4 that I just bought off of a friend. The car had a myriad of problems when I bought it including a blown head gasket/warped head, bad radiator, massive oil leak, etc. The car had also been overheated/filled with stop leak pellets numerous times. I replaced the head gasket this past winter and swapped in a nice used head from another 2.4 I had gutted for parts before. The whole upper end of the engine (and the bottom end water jackets) was meticulously cleaned and inspected before putting it all back together and when I tried starting it in the sub-zero weather, the car would just crank over and flood with gas but not start. I tried replacing the cap, rotor and coil to remedy a very weak spark. The intensity of the spark improved dramatically, but it still would not fire over except for the occasional sputter and stall. I also tried rotating the distributor while cranking to play with the timing.Around this time, it got too cold for me to care about continuing working on it outside, so I let it sit for the rest of the winter. A couple of months ago, I jumped in and cranked it over to see what would happen, and it fired right up and ran pretty good. I can stop on it and wind it up in park/neutral without any issues and it seems to run fine. In gear, however, if I stomp it to the floor it chokes and surges and lurches and my scan tool shows the advance cuts out. If I gradually accelerate and get it going first it runs excellent and has tons of power but if I stab the throttle it goes right to s***. It also wants to die climbing steep hills.

I'm pretty sure the timing is good based on the fact that I followed the Jim Wolf instructions when putting the head back on and it runs like a top when I get it going slowly. The Car is throwing all kinds of codes though and I don't want to just start replacing sensors left and right, so I'm wondering where to start or if anyone has any info about dealing with a problem like this before. The codes it throws are as follows:

P0335- Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" CircuitP0325- Knock Sensor 1 Circuit (Bank 1)P1336- Crankshaft/Camshaft Sensor Range/PerformanceP0732- Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio

I've cleared them out a couple of times and driven it around in between. The first two codes keep coming back and the third occasionally. The incorrect gear ratio one seems to be a one time thing. (Although the car does have a very hard/delayed 1st to 2nd shift).

I guess my question is should I replace the distributor or what? I gather that this is a common problem on these cars and I'm not sure if it has ever been done before. Before I did the head, there was a little oil (not excessive) in the distributor, but I cleaned it all out and replaced the seal when I put it back together.

Would the knock sensor be a better place to start, as this is responsible for retarding the timing as well?

Help?

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”