95 240sx KA Trouble idling cold

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
RandyMc5
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX

Bought a 1995 Nissan 240Sx a few months ago with a blown head gasket. Tore it down to short block, replaced gasket, resurfaced head and put it all back together. The car runs and drives now! Here is the issue I am having:
- Takes 5-10 cranks for the car to actually start
- Will not idle when cold, have to hold revs up for a few minutes until warm and then idle settles at 1krpm roughly
- Idle surges from 1-1.2k once warmed up

Once the car is up to operating temperature it idles and drives fine. Test drove it around the block a few times and it runs great. Very nice to see the car running again after a few months. Right now I suspect maybe dirty MAF, CTS, or faulty FPR. Would like to get the car to the point where it starts up first try and holds a nice idle. Thanks in advance for help

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I would double/triple check for vacuum leaks. Its very easy to miss a hose hookup after pulling the head, or even cracking/splitting one.

Once the vehicle is warmed up, spray some starting fluid or similar around the intake manifold side/area of vacuum lines. If it idles up, you've got a leak. Just be careful near the exhaust if its good and hot... you don't want to make a fireball for your face.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I'm a bit late to the party but did you get it sorted out?

I'm w/ PapaSmurf, sounds like either a vacuum leak or a timing issue. Have you had a timing light on it? if you've had it apart it can be either ignition or valvetrain timing. There are some good guides on the site for setting base timing for the engine. Vacuum leak would be the first place to start for sure though. Easy to diagnose and rule out.

RandyMc5
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX

I didn't really have the time to get it fixed, so ended up selling it as is. I did upgrade to a Kouki now though! Just picked it up this week. It's a clean all original auto car with some rough cosmetics. I will make a separate post for it but I am excited to mod this one!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Congrats!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”