95 240 clutch pedal not returning

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ABIOTIC91
Car: 95 240sx

• i recently replaced my trans main seal. The trans is now back in, everything bolted back up. And i go to push on the clutch and the pedal wont return. I didnt mess with the slave cylinder, just unbolted and set aside. I didnt touch anything as far as master cylinder or lines. Iv tried bleeding a few different ways. Bought a new slave, still the problem persists. The master is brand new as well.
    Im not sure if its the slave cylinder, master or lines, or if i put something back in wrong. Please help

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'd start by pulling the slave cylinder and making sure your throwout fork isn't all loosey goosey or something, although if it was, you'd probably just push the clutch and your slave would just keep moving until it over-extended itself. You could either record this while you press the clutch, or have someone look at it while you do that and verify you actually get movement at the slave.

5M0K3
Car: 96 240sx RB20DET

Did you bleed the valve by the frame rail, near the slave? I had a hard time with mine, and it turned out (after hours of headache) there was air trapped near that valve.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

In addition to the above good advice, when you first start with a clutch bleed, there is no pressure and you have to lift the pedal each time for each pump for a while. Give it like 10 pumps between opening and closing the bleeder. Pressure should build during the bleeding process, still lifting to pump, but less. By the time you're done, it should feel firm and return with each pump. Finally you adjust your pedal just a bit to have it engage/ disengage at the right time per FSM page CL-4. The proper procedure is in the FSM on page CL-5 and works every time for me. If the booster piping is gone, skip that part of the bleeding, still works according to instruction.
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... sx/1995/CL

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

PS - I bought an off brand master cylinder and the actual piston rod thing that the clutch pedal connects to was too short so it never functioned properly and I had to go back to the OEM unit (which turned out to be fine and I was just wasting money hoping to have a 'new' system).

ABIOTIC91

Thanks a ton everyone. Ill try out these methods and let everyone know if anything worked!

ABIOTIC91

5MOK5 thanks a ton! The little valve was exactly the problem. Much appreciation.

And thanks for all other input. I really do appreciate it

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I thought you didn't touch the hydraulics, so you shouldn't have needed to bleed it.
But yeah, if you still have that little damper box, get rid of that bugger! You can run the hard line directly to your slave cylinder.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”