'94Q strut/shock DIY parts and $$$

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
thomcycle
Car: raising my kids, bicycling, and DIY

I've searched for some threads on this info but was not successful. I have the manual but do not know what I will probably need to replace and expected cost. I've done my old bimmer so I know what I am getting into. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction (Scottsdale)?

BTW, my rear window regulator went out so I decided to try to repair rather than spend the $100. For $3.00 worth of hardware and a little work I fixed it!!! The cable broke near the end fitting so I took the assembly apart (riveted together) and fixed it. works just like new.

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

Parts ,, new rubber on each strut comes from Dealer.Struts Black (oem) or blue Tokico's on the nternet run about $300 set. TJ in AZ or Infinitiparts.com, shox.com for blues. Dust boots run about $200. In case ur interested Eibach's run about $300 set too. Lower's front 1" and rear .8".I'm sure a few of the guys will chime in on there favorite parts provider....Not a hard job..Starting on 3rd Active to Standard conversion this week-end , mostly messy. Just saw that your from Southlake,, goto Sewell and ask for Randy he'll give you the same price as Scottsdale or better,, you can contact me if you need more info.about local suppliers......:thumbup

Jberger

You guys and your active conversions, I wish I had an active to recharge, seriously. The active models I have driven were fantastic. I know the accumilators are expense to recharge, but certianly the labor for the swap plus parts is close to the same.

Why the desire for the swaps?

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

Try $10,000 to replace an Active System (parts) vs. $1200 for Std that's complete Not counting labor difference!.Just ask an Infiniti Dealership what they do with a 1st 2nd gen Active Q with bad suspension? Total it! .... Have you been in a Tourning ..................:thumbup

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

We change out customer supplied [9] accumulators for $1200 [labor] and put up with the 3 days it takes the system to normalize for free ...... crank it up 4 times per day.Texasoils recharging works [if you can put up with the $2500 plus freight and refundable deposits].~~~$4,000

Since the Active system MSRPed for close to $7,000 what's $4,000 to R&R in every 60k...............told you people were buying cars they couldn't afford to maintain.

Driving an old Q means you either become a quasi technican [and spend $1300 for parts plus tools] or are prepared to spend $3,000 or more per year.....its only 1-2 weeks to a month of your before tax income.

You would be surprised at the number of owners who don't want to spend for rubber parts since the Blues in theory have a lifetime no leak warranty...what they have to realize is it doesn't cover labor nor diminished performace which is caused by the Nitrogen leaking out because the shaft wear the seals from dirt grit from torn boots.

if the factory parts last 4 years [60k at best] thats all you can expect from the blues.......my rears are weak at 53k and almost 3 years so nothing last forever..

Return to “General Chat”