'94 s13 cranks but won't spark when it's hot.

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
moneydee
Car: 1994 S13

When I've been driving my s13 in extreme heat and park for 10 minutes or more I have trouble getting the car to turnover. Cranks but doesn't seem to get spark. I leave the hood open and walk away for 15-20 minutes and it will then fire up when I make the attempt. I changed the ignition control module (transistor) with a new one, and changed the coil with a used one. Still having problems.... Please help.

neverlift

welcome to nico, searching the forum or net would tell you that is probably a cts problem.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Are you getting 12V to the coil when it isn't starting? I think it should be around battery voltage when cranking and then goes down to 11.7 when running.

moneydee

I have replaced the ICM and Coil. Although I haven't experienced a no start again, it is threatening to repeat the symptom. Next step is to check the distributor condition, if that doesn't work I'm at a lost. I have checked the posts on here but have not found a similiar problem.

neverlift

stop replacing things and start testing whats already there. Often very few things stop a ka from starting once warm. Why do you think its the ignition system. Have you tested the cts? It takes 2 seconds to unhook it and test the terminals..
It could just be corrosion on the terminals or spades. Here the easiest way to test is pull the cts with engine running(warm if thats when you have issues), you should hear and see a change in running performance.

moneydee

neverlift wrote:stop replacing things and start testing whats already there. Often very few things stop a ka from starting once warm. Why do you think its the ignition system. Have you tested the cts? It takes 2 seconds to unhook it and test the terminals..
It could just be corrosion on the terminals or spades. Here the easiest way to test is pull the cts with engine running(warm if thats when you have issues), you should hear and see a change in running performance.

Okay, I removed the connector from the sensor and there was a slight shudder by the engine, nothing incredibly notable but it did change it's rythm. What does that tell me? Although today we had fair temperature and it was below 90 most of the day, didn't have a no start all day, albeit a what seemed like a weak fire up.

neverlift

it tells you the cts is at least still doing something. Any chance you noticed the color of the sensor?
Also did the terminals have any funk on them. Mine were green at one point.

moneydee

The color of the connector was orange. There was no funk on them. When I cranked her yesterday she turned went down to 450rpm briefly (1 or 2 seconds) and caught itself again to more normal operation. Again, the climate here was less than 90 deg. My issues are mostly when it's over 90 deg and the Sun is hitting the hood hard (mostly in parking lots) and after 10-20 minutes of normal operation.

moneydee

moneydee wrote:When I've been driving my s13 in extreme heat and park for 10 minutes or more I have trouble getting the car to turnover. Cranks but doesn't seem to get spark. I leave the hood open and walk away for 15-20 minutes and it will then fire up when I make the attempt. I changed the ignition control module (transistor) with a new one, and changed the coil with a used one. Still having problems.... Please help.
Still having problems... Has anyone ever seen this type of problem??? I have now changed the Coil, Ignition Control Module, Sparkplugs/Wires, and Distributor Cap and Rotor. CTS is fine, fuel pump is working fine. How do I check for spark without getting electricuted?

S13_RB25
Car: A 240 but no RB yet!

To check spark pull the plug and reconnect it to the wire and set it on the strut tower, near one of the bolts, then crank her and pay attention to the plug! Prior toto cranking the motor or just even taking out the plug release the fuel pressure first and then disconnect the CTS! Also while your at it check the plugs gap.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”