'94 J30t Base Idle without CONSULT?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
halfbyte

Good evening;

Is there a standard procedure you guys follow to reset/adjust the base

idle on J30? Like adjusting the Throttle position sensor and all that

without the CONSULT...

I've just replaced the crank position sensor and just wanted to adjust

them all while I am at it...

BTW, replacing my crank position sensor solved issues such as hesitation,

rough transmission shifts... It's running much smoother now...

Thanks

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

In the past I had the dealer do it......Never been charged. It takes a tech a few minutes to do.

rwhyde
Car: '93 Infiniti J30

If you have the timing right the car shifts much better. I proved that on my car this past weekend. I also fooled around with the throttle position sensor (tps) and checked and adjusted that. I have the FSM but no Consult. The first thing to do on the tps is not change anything but check it. there is the connector that you see instantly on top, don't worry abouyt that one. The one you want is down under the TPS on a small bracket and the wires from the tps run down to it. It is not easy to see them actually, so you have to look carefully. The center terminal of that connector is the tps sensor wire. use a paper clip or need to slide in beside the wire going into the outside of the connector. Make sure you don't short this out in anyway by allowing it to touch ground. Use a Volt ohm meter to read volts, it shold be .4 to .5 volts with the key on or the engine running either way. I just turn the key until I get dash lights. that is the base setting. Most are set close to .4 or .41 volts. If you open the throttle then the voltage will steadily increase upwards toward 5 volts-probably not all the way to 5 so don't worry. If you happen to have an ocilloscope you can scope it for any drop outs or spikes. That is all there is to the tps. I'd have to look up the base idle but if your car idles correctly now-don;t fool with it. If it ain't broke, don't go trying to fix it. you will save yourself a lot of time and potentially money if you follow that thought. It always helps to have a parts car laying around so you can swap parts or measure on and compare like I do.

halfbyte

That's what I was looking for .4 volts on TPS.

Thanks bunch rwhyde...

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

rwhyde wrote:If you have the timing right the car shifts much better. I proved that on my car this past weekend. I also fooled around with the throttle position sensor (tps) and checked and adjusted that. I have the FSM but no Consult. The first thing to do on the tps is not change anything but check it. there is the connector that you see instantly on top, don't worry abouyt that one. The one you want is down under the TPS on a small bracket and the wires from the tps run down to it. It is not easy to see them actually, so you have to look carefully. The center terminal of that connector is the tps sensor wire. use a paper clip or need to slide in beside the wire going into the outside of the connector. Make sure you don't short this out in anyway by allowing it to touch ground. Use a Volt ohm meter to read volts, it shold be .4 to .5 volts with the key on or the engine running either way. I just turn the key until I get dash lights. that is the base setting. Most are set close to .4 or .41 volts. If you open the throttle then the voltage will steadily increase upwards toward 5 volts-probably not all the way to 5 so don't worry. If you happen to have an ocilloscope you can scope it for any drop outs or spikes. That is all there is to the tps. I'd have to look up the base idle but if your car idles correctly now-don;t fool with it. If it ain't broke, don't go trying to fix it. you will save yourself a lot of time and potentially money if you follow that thought. It always helps to have a parts car laying around so you can swap parts or measure on and compare like I do.
Good post... I agree...... IDle should be set at approx 720rpm+-50.....

Just adjust the IAC screw to tweak.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Dont forget when you adjust base idle you have to unplug the TPS switch. It should be 680 in N, plus about 50 wiht the a/c on.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”