94 J30 tranny! help!

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

I was driving today, wasnt too hot or anything, at a stop light noticed some smoke coming out from the front of the car, smelled like ATF. when the light turned green the transmission was slipping horribly but i managed to get it in a parking lot only 30 yards away and park it. opened the hood, ATF everywhere. the dipstick was in place.got out the screwdriver to check the lines underneath going to the transmission cooler and one was off...so i lost a good portion if not all of the ATF.

I am going to go and fill up the ATF and reconnect that line, and clean all the atf that was evaporating all over the engine bay....but i am extremely worried if the tranny will still work, and i have no idea if ill be able to drive it....

If there is anything else i should do, or if there is any sort of prognosis, or anything...i would greatly appreciate it!!!

thanks in advance,i really cant afford to not have this car rolling since i am moving in 4 days!!!help!

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

it took 4 quarts of fluid, and seems to operating normally, beside the fact that the power steering is slipping a bit due to atf fluid making all the belts slip a bit. the check transmission turns off as is normal, so i assume that everything is alright.....

i wonder though if this shortened the life of the transmission or torque converter...

any thoughts would be appreciated!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

It's difficult to say.Continued operation would have damaged it a lot for sure.But like this?Hard to tell, but you may have gotten lucky.

Fred...:)

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”