94 Altima Oil Pump

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
huiko
Car: 94 Nissan Altima GLE

O.K. Guys, All Input will be appreciated.

This all pertains to a 94 Altima GLE with 110k miles.

Last night while driving home my lower radiator hose burst and quickly dumped all of the coolant onto the street. Within two minutes/ 2 miles of that happening my oil light and battery light came on and the car started to run rough.

I was in traffic but managed to stop the car on the side of the road in less than a mile.

I got a new lower hose and replaced it and refilled the radiator.

I turned the key and the car started up fine and idled great. I started to drive home and after a couple of miles the oil light briefly flashed on a couple of times and then came on and stayed on after about 8 minutes of driving. After the oil light came on to stay the car started to run rough again and I could hear the engine starting to chatter a little. Prior to the oil light coming on the car had great acceleration and ran smooth.

I immediately turned the car off and checked the water and oil levels and both were fine, although the oil looked a little dark considering that it has less than 1000 miles on it.

After the car had sat for a few minutes I restarted the car to see if the oil light was still on and it wasn't. Additionally the car started up right off and idled perfectly.

Well as you might have guessed, as I attempted to drive it, I encountered the exact same scenario. It ran great for a couple of miles or so, then the oil and battery lights flickered two or three times and then the oil light came on continously. After the oil light stayed on the engine once again ran rough.

I have the car back in the garage at the moment. The oil level is fine, the coolant level is fine and it will start right up but I need some help in diagnosing the problem.

Is it the oil pump?

I took the oil cap off the valve cover and it looks as if there's plenty of oil getting to the top of the engine and the fact that it has no chatter and runs perfect for the first 5 to 10 minutes has me perplexed.

Is it possible that a few minutes with no coolant could have damaged the oil pump. Will a bad oil pump run fine upon start up and stop after a few minutes? or does someone have a better idea.

Thanks In Advance for any and all input.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Change the oil and filter then measure the oil pressure. See the service manual for the numbers and any more help: Nicoclub.com/FSM

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”