'93 Rough Idle

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
heymitduh
Car: 1993 Nissan D21

Hey all, new to forum and would like your expertise. My 93 KA24E is running bad. Gotta hold gas down a lil' to even get a bad idle. Replaced: Wires, plugs, dist. cap and rotor, fuel filter. Checked vacuum lines. Gonna mess with timing some this morn. (Thought I read somewhere that it's controlled by ECM on this year and model?) Only code I'm getting from ECM is 41 (Bad air temp sensor). Don't think that's it from what I've read.
I got appt at the only garage in town that has a scanner capable of scanning a 93 Nissan but will have to have it towed there and all that. Plus the cost of scan and then what? I really don't want to spend a lot on the ol' girl. She's my work truck. Get me to work and run me around the mill when I'm there. Very dusty conditions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Pulling my hair out!!!)

heymitduh

Cancelled appt. Not ready to give up yet.

heymitduh

Checked the voltage in what I think is the fuel pressure regulator solenoid. 0 V. It's located in front of the A.I.V. on the right (driver side) inner fender well. Correct me if I'm wrong here! Behind and below the A.I.V. case. That's what Haynes calls it anyhow. A.I.V. case. It's supposed to be approx 12V with key on.

heymitduh

That wasn't the fpr solenoid, it was the a.i.v. solenoid. I believe the fpr solenoid is in back of the head. There is a vac hose that I tracked back there. Looks like a hard place to get to!
I just read on another forum where there was quite a discussion about whether or not there is a fpr solenoid on the ka24e engine. Got ugly.

I'm gonna tear out the emission .... stuff....

CSUPUEBLOTIM
Car: 1992 240sx Sr20det Coupe Silvia Front

Was it doing this before you replaced all those parts?

heymitduh

Oh yeah, that's why I replaced them. Sounded like it was out of tune. Haven't been working on it for a while but plan on hitting it again this wknd.

heymitduh

In your experience, would a bad air temp sensor cause this problem...rough idle? I've read different opinions on this issue.

CSUPUEBLOTIM
Car: 1992 240sx Sr20det Coupe Silvia Front

Inspect the wiring going to the air temp sensor. I would assume since the maf also technically is affected/senses air temp, the air temp sensor would help keep the maf in check. Might not hurt to throw one at it assuming the wiring going to the sensor is good. Another thing to try also if you can find another 240er close to you see if you can swap their maf in and see if anything changes.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”