93 Quest - Transmission not shifting into Higher Gears

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
martianable
Car: 1993 Nissan Quest

Hello All,
I have a 93 Quest with 110 K on it.
The overall condition seems good, and due to finances we need to keep it on the road as opposed to trading in -
Fluid levels are good - trans fluid smells pretty good for 110 K ( not really a burnt up smell that I've smelled before on cars with bad transmissions )
There are no Lights showing ( CEL or otherwise ) and all lamps light up during start up -

Here are the symptoms:

When running in Drive / 2 / 1

Position 1 - runs great and revs up to redline after 25 mph ( this seems normal - right ? )
Position 2 - runs great and revs up to redline - shifts after 25 mph - then revs up to redline after 45 mph ( this also seems normal - right ? )
Position D - runs fairly well ( some 'slippage' / 'revving up' during the first shift ( around 25 ) - but it will not shift after 45, it just wants to head toward redline.

The OD button on the shift lever does the following:
When in Drive it will cause a higher rev if turned OFF - this seems normal - right ?

Therefore I am somewhat puzzled on what to do. -
I have bought a new transmission filter and gaskets, but am not sure if I am swimming upstream and I need some advice.
1. I've heard of some relays to check, but am not sure where to look - under the hood there is a relay bank toward the front right of the engine compartment, but I'm not sure what the specific relay would be for the transmission ( inhibit ? )
2. I've heard of some things to check ( like connections ) on the Transmission itself, but do not have any schematics.
3. I've heard of the Solenoid pack in the transmission ( inside / under the pan ? ) - that part costs $329.00

Here is what I am looking for:

1. advice
2. manuals and schematics ( can't seem to find much online )
3. info on this rig: ( type of transmission & engine ) so I can search more effectively
4. Links to more information and or other forums if that will help me solve this issue faster.

thanks to all in advance :)

Marty

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

the 1994-1995 model should be similar:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/quest/1994- ... est/at.pdf

start reading on page AT-18 because i think it's running in "failsafe mode"

Return to “Quest Forum”