93 J30 how to replace water pump

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
lorenjamie
Car: 93 j30 infiniti

how do you replace water pump on 93 J30

kbflip02
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30 and 2006 Infiniti G35x

very carefully

lorenjamie
Car: 93 j30 infiniti

thanks for the info I almost did not know what to think then seen that you are from texass, Thank' again Mr Dumass

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Now Now

KB is a great guy with a big sense of humor.The is alot involved in getting to the water pump on the J.Download the FSM and start studying.

Oh and I just saw the statement on Texas..Not a good idea to go there bub.
Modified by yodawill2000 at 9:31 AM 10/29/2009

Outkast
Car: 05 Titan 4WD CC, 00 Maxima SE 5spd, 91 TTZ

It's basicly a timing belt job. A good VG guy (me) can have it done in 4 hours. Anyway since you have to tear everything down to to get to it you should change the belt too. Nissan is only $50 for the belt and I would also highly recommend a Nissan water pump as well cause the aftermarket ones are known to shear off. Good luck!

Skapunk4everr
Car: 95' j30

I actually had an instance where my water pump cracked completely in half destroying my belts, radiator, fan clutch assem. etc.

The first step is to make sure you have a copy of the FSM -If you dont have a downloaded copy you can access one for a '95 Here. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/J30/1995_J30/-remove the intake tubing-remove the radiator fluid, and the radiator(hoses and all)-remove all drive belts-now you should have enough room to remove the Fan clutch assembly from the water pump.- Next you have to remove the crank pulley. If you do not have an impact wrench small enough to fit in, you can use a large extended socket wrench. to do this, get back under the car and remove the starter and have a friend hold a "suitable tool" (flat head screw driver) in the teeth of the flywheel to lock it up. -you should then be able to loosen the crank bolt and use a pulley puller to remove the pulley.

- once that is done you can take of the timing belt cover and access the bolts for the water pump.

Install new water pump and put it all back together.

Good luck man, i'm not an expert but I do my best and mine has been running fine for the past 8 months.

yodawill2000

I remember seeing those pics man ,, that was a mess !!!

Scary part is it happened shortly after I put a autozone pump in mine !!! LOLTurned out the leak was from a hose way in there so I now have a working used OEM pump as a spare.Been about 14K miles so I think Im ok.

Skapunk4everr
Car: 95' j30

Yeah it was! ever since i got it back running again is where all my new problems come into play, such as my bouncing idle, lack of power/ overall sluggishness.

The good news is the only code tripped in my ecu was the fuel temp sensor. Just need to find the time to take out the old one. I really need to put some new rear struts in but the price is killing me! Im pretty close to testing out a few options such as maxima etc. just to see if i can get something close. I don't mind them being too stiff, just as long as they can take the applied force of the j. If i cant find anything that doe not require a ton of modification ill just suck it up and go OEM.

yodawill2000

I hear ya on the OEM cost.I'm about to make the last payment on the wife's Caravan then I'm going to start buying a few parts at a time till I have all the rubber and struts/shocks.All Ive done so far are the Tension rods.

1994 infiniti j30 190+
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30
1990 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Limited Edition

wow so im not the only one that had the water pump break in half. and doing a water pump replacement isnt very easy and takes a while if your not careful and break it in half like we did. ended up driving it for nearly 10 miles without it working and made it home and it still runs perfect besides having injecter failure over and over but hoping to fix that soon.

Rabbit LBR
Car: 1993 J30t

add me to the list of broken water pumps! i am so upset. I put alot of time and effort trying to restore this car to perfect condition. bought a timing belt kit which came with the belt, complete tensioner assembly, both upper and lower idler pulleys, and a water pump. the water pump turned out to be the wrong one. i found that out after everything was almost back together. they sent me a 300zx pump. its shorter! so i had to take everything back apart search for a pump found one for 100 bucks at pepboys. put everything back together. started it and had it idling while filling her up with antifreeze. then boom it snapped right there, broke the fan blades and put a hole in the radiator. i dont know what i should do at this point. i have soo much time and money in this car but i dont want something like this to happen again. im thinking about eliminating the stock fan and replacing it with an electric fan. this all happened earlier today. wasted my entire day off and now no car. DO NOT BUY A BOSCH WATER PUMP!

yodawill2000

Wowzers.The last pump I put in was from autozone but had the nissan Logo on it. (Reman)Been fine so far.

1994 infiniti j30 190+

wow i guess i got lucky cause thats worse than what i had. one thing of advise when you put the belt on for the water pump/ alternator keep he belt LOOSE i have had to take the whole front of this engine of many many time for almost the same issues for just the three years i have had this car. and a new radiator isnt cheap about 200 bucks for a new one

yodawill2000

I wouldn't say leave the belts loose.The FSM shows the amount of deflection in the longest run.The belts on the J need to be tighter than any other car Ive had.

1994 infiniti j30 190+

no i dont mean the bolts i mean the belt, get it relatively tight but a little loose and if its not tight enough when running shut it off and tighten it a little bit more and keep doing that till its good. its always safer to have it loose then tighten it after cause if its too tight and you dont know it, it could be too late and already have had done damage. i have had to replace the water pump twice in the past 3 years and i have found out that keeping the belt loose at first and tightening it later is the best way.

yodawill2000

Are you using OEM water pumps ??I agree to the tighten till it doesn't squeal theory.But the real deal Oem pump doesn't snap off like the the pics Ive seen.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1994 infiniti j30 190+

we have used the ones from like advanced auto parts and what first happened was that the water pump had failed we put a new one on and my dad tightened it way too much so it broke in half not as bad as his was just broke but held in coolant and the radiator was bent to crap but still sealed. and then we replaced it then put it together and then it ended up leaking so we had to do it again. so i have been taught to just get it snug down then tightenthe belt little by little till done. now thing is im only 19 and dont have much money to get the oem top dollar parts for the car.

Rabbit LBR

1well today i got a new water pump, new radiator ($150 from local radiator shop) and......an electric fan!! the new pump was made by cardone. casting seemed better than the bosch unit. i didnt want any mishaps so i eliminated the clutch fan and replaced it with a 16" electric unit which fit PERFECTLY! right now its wired to come one with the ignition, but i am going to add a thermostat switch to turn it on.

1994 infiniti j30 190+

oh well good thing you got worked out glad you got it fixed. hope it works out well.

Rabbit LBR

thanks

240sxdrifterS14
Car: 1993 240, 91 missle

To resurrect a thread from the dead, I just had this happen to my J30. I bought a 1997 J30, 90k with a bad knock sensor two days ago. I was driving it yesterday, pushed the gas down just a little further and boom, front of the water pump snaps off, sending the clutch fan into the radiator, snapping all the blades and damaging the radiator. However it's almost laughable, this has been the story of my life since the first of the year haha. I haven't dug into the car much at all yet, but I'm glad to hear i'm not the only that has had this problem. It just sucks having it happen after owning the car less then 24 hours.

Is the J30 road one worth traveling???

yodawill2000

"Is the J30 road one worth traveling???"

Not sure I understand the question ??

GerryO
Pearl White
Black Interior

240sxdrifterS14 wrote:Is the J30 road one worth traveling???
It has been for me since '93 and can be a bumpy one, quite a learning experience and several others here have snapped their WPs (make sure your next one is OEM and that the belts aren't too tight).

J30tChumpCar
Car: 1995 J30t Totaled @ Charlotte motor speedway
1994 J30 gutted caged road racer Now with VH45DE!
1966 Chevy Corvair V8 mid-ship conversion

Not sure what loose(er) belts are going to but squall like nothing else. We race with the original OEM pump/fan and make the belts tight like guitar strings. I hate doing it but if they are not "over tight" they slip, squeal and burn.

Because of this thread I will stay away from cheapo pumps when it becomes time for a new one.

So far the car has over 50 hrs(3000 miles) of real racing with moments bouncing off the rev limiter, one word.... FLAWLESS!

J30tChumpCar

Well the original pump with 85 hours of race duty + unknown street miles it has decided to drip a nice puddle when parked, aside from the local dealer do I source a OEM pump? Is any asian brand what I seek or is there something more I get shopping @ the dealer?

yodawill2000

The last pump I bought was a reman from autozone and it had the Nissan logo right where the original did.
He told me its worth looking at all the pumps to see if there is a rebuilt OEM.

Mkiisupra

yodawill2000 wrote:The last pump I bought was a reman from autozone and it had the Nissan logo right where the original did.
He told me its worth looking at all the pumps to see if there is a rebuilt OEM.
In my area the remanufactured water pumps are all special order... I dont want to risk the chance of getting a non oem remanufactured pump, but the only ones they have in store are the duracrap ones. No other parts store carries remanufactured pumps either. Am I stuck buying an oem pump from the dealer? I need my J back on the road yesterday.

J30tChumpCar

You may need to chance a parts store unit if time is super important, I went the dealer route because my situation is a little different, it took 3 days special order and cost 3x as much.

Mkiisupra

Yes time is very important, but I cannot take the chance of a low quality unit failing and causing even more damage, which the manufacturer will deny all liability for. Some of the off brand pumps Ive looked at have noted specifically, no warranty on housing. This just shows me that even they do not trust the integrity of the part they manufacture, which is piss poor business practice IMO.

Mkiisupra

OEM water pump manufacturer is Unisia.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”