93 hardbody engine swap

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Bill78
Car: 1993 Altima, 1993 Mark VIII, 1993 D21

Hey lads, first post here.

I picked up a 93 hardbody a couple weeks ago. Needed a fuel pump, so I threw one of them in it, then I drove it down the road and blew a hole in the block on cylinder #3. The timing chain was noisy in it after I got it running, so i was not surprised at the end result.

So I have since began ripping everything apart. Ive been pretty careful with everything, labelling etc, as I have never done an engine swap before.Ive got it torn down to the head, gonna pop it off the block tomorrow and see if the piston welded itself to the valves (hehe)

Anyways, my question; how similiar are the KA24DE that is currently in the truck to the KA24DE that is found in my Altima? I know that the altima is a DOHC with four more valves, so would everything besides the head and timing chain be the same (wiring harness, ECU, emissions etc) or are they a different beast all together?

I can get a replacement engine at my local junk yard for $300 out of the identical truck, but would prefer the DOHC for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance, have been enjoying the relative ease in working on this truck compared to my previous wrenching abortions on domestics.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

You will need to compare transmission serial numbers from the car and the D21 to verify if the Altima Engine will even bolt to the D21's transmission.

If it does then there is also the little issue with the location of the Oil Dip stick. A person on this forum already swapped a car's 2.4 into a D21 and found the oil pan, sump and dipstick location were all different. He had to swap oil pans and sumps so the new engine could clear the front cross member in the D21.

We have yet to hear about how he dealt with checking his oil level.

The serial number verification has to be done at the dealer. They can tell you if the Altima's 2.4 will bolt to your D21's transmission.

Please post your information when you find out the details because I am working on a listing for D21 engine swaps.

Clifton
Car: 73' 240Z/7MGTE 71 240Z/L28ET

Only the ka24de's in the frontier would easily work. The car ka24de's are front sumped with a different oil pan bolt pattern as the oil pan has a notch to clear the external oil pump. If you want a simple ka-de get one from a frontier.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”