93 altima idles fine, dies under throttle.

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
Gambit X
Car: 93 altima se

hey guys i'm hoping you can help me out.

my car has been down for quite some time now. i was going to work cruising at about 60mph in 5th gear, and suddenly the check engine light came on along with an immediate loss of power. giving it gas wouldn't do anything. i pulled it over to check under the hood for connections and everything looked normal. tried starting it and it just kept cranking. eventually it started and i floored it to work. when i get off work it's doing the same thing. i pull over again to check things out and it looks normal. eventually it starts and i floor it home. it happened again while on my way but instead of pulling over, i put the pedal to the floor. an absolute loss of power would happen for about 3 to 4 seconds, then it would clear up and run excellently for about another 45 seconds to a minute.

the parts i've replaced since the last time it was down in june ( do to the infamous oil in dizzy) are as follows:

*tps
*all fuel injectors
*new intake manifold gaskets
*new dizzy in its entirety ( which fixed the problem before.)
*ignition coil
*a brand new PCM ( this partially fixed the problem stated above but it now has symptoms pertaining to the topic of this thread)
*new air filter
*new knock sensor

the fuel pump was replaced just a little over a year ago and i can hear it prime up the system. fuel filter is good as well. the MAF sensor passes all tests according to the haynes manual and FSM with a multimeter and has been cleaned. the power transistor as well has passed all tests as well. there is continuity in all the the right places required to test for an ignition issue within the wiring harness. i checked the dizzy and confirmed there is no oil on the optical disk or sensor (there had better not be lol).

as of right now, the car will idle like a champ. however under light throttle, it's a little unstable while climbing the rpm band. under WOT, it dies. i've also noticed that it will idle perfectly fine and all of the sudden shut off. literally shut off as smooth as if i were to turn off the ignition. no bucking, stumble, hesitation, bogging. it's the cleanest shut off ever lol.

if anyone here has any possible idea as to what's going on, please let me know. i'm honestly at my wit's end with this car and it seems the only way to fix it is with a shotgun.

Gambit X
Car: 93 altima se

the codes i'm getting from the PCM are:

*11 - camshaft position sensor
*12 - mass air flow
*21 - ignition signal

davidscheiber28
Car: Dad's: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE
Mine: to be determined

I have heard of bogging down like this due to the camshaft position sensor.....
you may need to try a new one

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”