‘93 300 ZX Convertible rear shock replacement

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Mike0276
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible with 71K miles.

I recently replaced the rear shocks on my ‘93 300 ZX convertible. Noticed a lack of details on getting access to the top of the shocks on the convertibles. Here is what I did:

First unclamp the front of the roof and then activate the released button for the back of the roof. Lift the back section and raise the top storage cover to gain access to the inside panels. Pry the 2 side panels off. Remove the 4 nuts holding the bottom tray and remove it. Carefully pry up the 2 plastic plugs on the back panel and remove the 2 push connectors located at the bottom of the panel. The back panel has 2 small extensions that go under the top cover hinges, pull these away from the hinges. Now, carefully lift the bottom of the back panel to expose the rubber cover on the top of the rear shocks. Remove the cover to expose the 2 nuts holding the shocks in place. Once the shocks have been replaced, simply reverse the order when replacing the panels.

The headlight adjustment adapter is located under the side panel that was removed on the driver’s side.

The project was not too difficult but does require some time. I originally thought the plastic plugs on the back panel covered the top of the shocks. Unfortunately they do not on my ‘93. The top of the rear shocks are located about 3-4 inches to the inside of these plugs.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Thanks for sharing. These detail notes will be helpful to others.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”