93 240SX Overheating

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
John16
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX hatchback

I know there's been a lot of subjects for the 240 overheating. I have changed everything from radiator thermo water pump to getting rid of the bubbles with the front of the car lift and still overheating man! If I'm frustrated!!! I guess it's time to go and spent some $$$ on something that seems so simple!!!

Only thing is that I don't see is with the cap off and car warmed up I don't see the river, I mean the water flow you know, so I'm guessing is a bad thermo. I guess but I'm not gonna mess around with it. Let the pro do it right? What you guys think?
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When you changed the thermostat, did you make sure the vent (burp hole) was oriented between 10 and 2 o'clock? If the vent is at the side or bottom then you'll get a permanent air bubble behind the 'stat that will prevent it from opening up. No flow can also be caused by a lower hose that's collapsed on the inside. The lower has suction on it, so if it delaminates, it can completely block the flow with no visible evidence. Feeling around it will generally reveal a soft spot.

John16

Good info: So I went ahead before seeing your reply and took the thermo out without noticing the way it was installed by the shop the other day. In my experience the thermo has a little peak that has to match so as to be able to install it, but hey. I took it off to see if that solves the issue and I see water flowing in the radiator. I'll do that tomorrow and post it. About the lower hose (never tough about it) if running without the thermo will fix the issue, no need for a hose but if it's still the same then I'll buy a new hose.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

John16 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:22 pm
In my experience the thermo has a little peak that has to match so to be able to install it but hey.
Some of them have a locator but most older Nissans don't. Some of them will also bleed out even if the vent is out of position and others won't. Maybe one of the 240 guys here can tell you for sure on yours, but it's a common DIY mistake on VG30/33's and it makes them impossible to bleed, you can stand the car on its taillights and it will still have air.

John16

Got it fixed by eliminating the thermostat. I test the thermo just to check and is good so If one day I decide to put it back on I already know what to do thanks again!!! Theres always something new to learn everyday!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”