91 Sentra Tranny Problem

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
kjarboe
Car: Racing

I've got a bone-stock 91 Sentra 1.6 Auto-Trans.Seems like it's jumping between gears during normal cruising speeds. Do these transmissions have lock-up convertors or other electronics that I can troubleshoot? HELP.... Thanks!

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

Might be time for a full tranny flush if you have never had one before. Best thing to do is take it to a mechanic you trust and get the scoop on what could be going wrong.

NISTECH

check your fluid level and condition. If it is above the lower hot line drop it till it is about half way between the 2 cold marks. if the fluid condition is dark or smells burnt[similar to gear oil smell] have a complete flush done by a shop that uses a complete exchange machine.

kjarboe
Car: Racing

Thanks for the responses everyone. Fluid is good, I change it every 30,000. Seems like the lockup convertor is getting signaled to in/out/in/out of lockup at cruising speeds. I'm wondering which electronic sensors control this. (TPS maybe???)Appreciate any advice or pointers. THANKS:help

NISTECH

hook up a volt meter to it and check it. should be around.5volts at idle and sweep as you rotate the throttle drum to WOT. and exceed 4.0 volts. this is done with the car warmed up and not running.

drjohn

This maybe a performance issue. At cruise with lite or parcel throttle you could be getting egr pulse do to glogged egr port's, or a clogged egr vac. port.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”