'91 M30 - No battery after changing terminals

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
bang4dabuck
Car: M30

I switched out my terminals after seeming to not get good contact ( no start just a lot of clicking although all the other stuff would work). Besides my terminals appeared ready to be changed. I got my dremel tool and cut and grinded terminals so they would fit into brass bolt down terminals. Anyways now I got no trace of power anywhere. Is it the battery or is it the cables/terminals ? Any testing I can do ? CONTINUITY ?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you did with the dremel tool... can you post up some pictures? I would certainly check for voltage on the wire a little way up from the terminals... if you don't have a multimeter, you can get one fairly cheap at places like harbor freight.

Heath

bang4dabuck
Car: M30

I have one of those but not sure how to derive "CONTINUITY". As far as the terminals, I cut off the clamps and ground down the tip of the cable where solder was so as to fit better, maybe I did not grind enough because there still is plenty of solder. My idea is to look for a short in the ground and from battery to starter. From there I'll look at those fusible links connected to + battery cable terminal. Just doesn't seem right that after I replaced that POS terminal there is nothing. I do have a MAP torch if I have to get rid of all the solder. Hopefully I didn't mess up any computer.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Most meters have a "beep" setting on the ohm scale that will let you easily test continuity. In that setting, if you touch the meter's leads together it will beep - or if you put a lead on each end of a continuous circuit. I don't think solder is your problem... it's designed to be a conductor.

Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”