90 Q45 struts (HOW DO I)

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MR. Q

I'm going to be replacing my struts pretty soon and I want to know what tools do I need to the job? How much time do you think it will take? I would also like to know if the struts come with dust boots? How do I compress the spring? Do I need to take it out? etc.......

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

The best way to do it IMHO is to take all 4 shocks off (assuming you already have dust boots and another ride) and take them to a small independent and have them use their air spring compressor....... Should only charge about $40 for all 4... Be sure you have them mark where the springs are so that they will align right when they go back on the car....

They dont come with dust boots, ithink the whole set from Scottsdale or midway is about $40, maybe more....

Pretty easy job, just your normal set of metric wrenches, sockets and stuff like that... Shouldnt take real long... as always i loathe doing suspension thigns because that means i have to take off the wheels

Rex
Car: None

Would the 2nd car not be necessary if you replced the shocks/struts & springs at the same time? How then would they "mark where the springs are" in this case?

Wes and I have talked this and I will probably be doing a full suspension re-hab this summer, so pardon the hi-jack .

one ton garage

rent spring compressor clamps from your local pep boys or auto zone... they're free to rent.

If you are replacing the old shocks/springs out of the car with a set with the springs already installed, you should be able to breeze through the whole job pretty easily

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Agreed...

However I dont like the autozone/pepboys compressors.. They seem very flimsy and the last thing i want is a big spring like that flying all over the place...

Rex in your case just take your shocks and springs to a shop, have them install them with new strut mounts, boots and stuff and then just toss them on the car!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”